Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Olevia tv plays DVD's great, but tv has stopped. Remote

Customer Question

My Olevia tv plays DVD's great, but tv has stopped. Remote works to change to composite, but when I try to use it to change channels (no signal) the HDMI just flashes instead of changing any channels.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info.
1) What is the model number off of the back of the TV?
2) Also you mentioned HDMI- and HDMI is only used when a cable box or SAT box is connected- and in this case you would use the Cable/SAT remote to change channels- not the TV remote. So can you please elaborate how you get your channels on this set?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using the remote that came with the tv. Tv and remote worked fine, then stopped one day. Changed batteries in remote, uplugged tv and plugged it back in. It almost seems like it's off channel 3 or something (I am dating myself here) but I can't get it to change channels if it is. I will go and get the model number. one minute please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Olevia 226-211 LCD -HDTV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
More importantly than the Model Number- I need to know specifically how you receive channels on the TV- so there's no Cable/SAT box, and it's direct coaxial cable from the wall correct? If so, the TV is on the wrong INPUT and you need to use the Olevia remote to change the INPUT to the TV one (which is how you view your channels). If the TV flashed HDMI- then this means that it's on the HDMI INPUT and not the TV Input, so the Input must be changed. I believe Olevia uses a button called "Source". Can you check for this button please?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the button IS called "Source". Use the Source button to change the TV's Input to the "TV" setting- and off of the HDMI setting. Then you will be able to change channels- but only AFTER changing the Source back to TV. Try this and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How could it magically change to the "wrong input"? It was working fine. I use the source button to change from composite for dvds to hdmi for tv. It changes and works on composite, but hdmi just comes on and says "no signal"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesm't work on remote or on tv itself-hope this is the hardest question you get all night!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Well then some of the info you gave is not correct- since HDMI is how a cable box plugs in and then the CABLE remote changes channels. So, if you have NO box (I asked that above) then the TV needs to go back to the TV Input. To clarify this, IS there a cable box, or is there not? If not, then there's no way you watch regular TV on HDMI.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There has never been a cable box -tv worked fine without it. Nothing changed except maybe it got hit by lightning
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
A coaxial cable doesn't plug into an HDMI port, and a coaxial cable is the only way the TV's internal tuner can be accessed. You use the original Olevia remote to change the Source and the TV's tuner when changing channels. If using HDMI, there's another box and another remote somewhere.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please read the above carefully. HDMI does not access your TV's tuner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't mean to be obstinate here, but there's no cable, just an antenna and regular network tv. Maybe that is what is throwing you off
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't change anything- antenna plugs into the antenna jack on the back of the TV- not HDMI. You're on the wrong Input. Use the source button change it to TV. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The source button is NOT working, if you will kindly refer to an earlier text. It changes to composite for DVD but just says "no signal" now for any of the other setting. you're the expert, but I have been watching network tv on the HDMI setting. It gives me about 10 stations. 3 of which are home shopping
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV does not come on -on any "input" it can't be capacitors, because the screen looks great for DVDs
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Ah okay, then the Mainboard is shot. You mentioned lightning- and can't change the sources. That's a pretty solid hint. This requires replacement of the Mainboard to fix the issue. The problem is Olevia has been out of business for about 5 years, and parts and rare to non-existent. To have a shop fix this would require replacement of the EEPROM on the Main at an average cost of $250 parts and labor. I'm sorry for the bad news, and this is one that canot be cost effectively repaired.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, but the lightning comment was a joke. How in hades could the main board not work but play DVDs and the screen looks great?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that Olevia is out of business and I thought this would be tough to do without anyone seeing the tv. But I am definitely NOT SATISFIED
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I can't change the outcome here, and you're unable to change the Source you said using the button on the remote or the TV. I cannot fix that from here I'm afraid and I'm sorry for that. I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142