Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

Chris I have a JVC model AV-60D501 CRT projection TV that cuts

Customer Question

Chris I have a JVC model AV-60D501 CRT projection TV that cuts off by itself. Now, it will not come on. What could be the issue? It was repaired by a tech but lasted 45 mins then cut off again.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Anthony
Welcome
Thanks for the Question
When it shuts down what exactly happens with the light(s) on the front of the set please?are they blinking or solid?if solid what color is the light
As much info about that please
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It blinks a fraction of a sec and the light is green. It goes back off. It went off originally as if the timer kicked in. It used to allow you to turn on after about 50-90 mins but doesn't come on at all. The tech has already replaced some tiny fuse bulb. In spite of its age, we rarely used this tv often.
If your looking for a quick fix that is easy with this then that is not possible.
Checks will be needed with a meter and maybe other test equipment, its not possible without those checks to give you a definitive answer I can only speculate what I think it is if you want to hear that?
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tech at GT electronics said he has tested and replace all that he can think of. I'd rather you not speculate.....if you cannot help then thank you just the same. I'll try calling JVC which so far has been unsuccessful .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
However, if you're gonna charge me the same fee regardless then speculate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know why I thought you would resolve my tv issue ways. Maybe you are a scam.
I had signed off before you replied (22minutes later)
Well its just not possible without making checks as there are MANY things not just one thing that can shut the set down I can only tell you the most common issues let me know if you wish to continue I can also give you advice on your moves forwards with this, I can't comment about what the tech done or did not do.
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think it cld be? Guess since I've already been charged please.
I only receive a proportion of that fee when you rate the answer positively there will be a rating bar with this post.
OK I don't know how much you have paid that tech so far if you would have come here first I would be advising you NOT to put any money into this set firstly what could be wrong>>>
The set is a rear projection it has thousands of soldered joints that by now are bad because of the sets age the tech most likely attempted a re-solder of suspect joints however if the set is not taken away and done in the workshop then its very difficult doing this work in your home and the likelihood is that the work will be unsuccessful, the joints are making and breaking hence the set running then shutting down now these bad joints can be in the horizontal and vertical output stages or in the convergence circuitry (usually) .
Again and because of the sets age it wont be long before something else crops up there are so many things (hundreds) that can go wrong with an older TV (unlike a refrigerator for example)
The reason for none attempted repairs? simply the sets age and technology has moved way on since these sets were made you would be far better off putting potential repair money towards a new set of the same size (60 inch)one other added thing is a modern set only draws a fifth of the energy that set uses and it uses a lot.
Hopefully you understand now the overall situation with the set.
Let me know if you need more help
Please consider rating the answer positively thank you
Regards
Anthony