Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a polaroid TLX-04240B with sound and no picture. It's

Customer Question

I have a polaroid TLX-04240B with sound and no picture. It's several years old and I was just checking to see if there was an easy fix before I just chuck it in the trash.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you bring up the on screen setup menu at all?Is the screen lit/glowing?If you hold a flashlight to the screen in a dim/dark room, can you see any image that way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No menu. Not glowing at all.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Can you please try the flashlight test for me and let me know if you're able to make out anything (even just the menu) that way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes on that.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. When I put flashlight on screen I can make out images.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you for the information. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty backlight inverter (which powers the ccfl type backlighting that lights up the screen). This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. These polaroid tvs are generally very poorly made from the lowest quality parts, so seeing it last as long as it did is actually more surprising than seeing it fail. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which can include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point). To just change out the inverter boards (master and slave, there are 2) will cost you about $40 for the part. If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $200 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv of this age/size/brand, if you aren't up for repairing it yourself, you're better off investing in a new tv at this point. Even if you do fix this issue, it is likely other components will fail soon as the tv is already past its expected service life. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range these days. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could do some repairs. Will talk to husband.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let me know how you'd like to proceed, if you want info on where to order the part.