Steven, Technician
Experience:  Ma. Master Technician Lic. Authorized Warranty Support.
59014109

I have a sharp Aquos LC-42D43U led tv. The tvs color

Customer Question

Hello I have a sharp Aquos LC-42D43U led tv. The tvs color is off(colors are exaggerated image is not crisp)The menus color is not(it's normal). I have already replaced the main board. On this unit the mainboard has another board that connects to it though that is the input board. I didn't replace the input board. I do think something was plugged into the input board in the wrong spot but I can't remember what. So what I'm thinking is its either the input board or the t-con board? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** are you today? I will try help you with your question. Are you saying that the main board on this unit dos not contain the HDMI connectors and inputs? I am going to look up some info on this unit for you it may take just a moment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes if you look at eBay and type in the model number with mainboard or input board you can get a picture of it.
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
what is the part number you replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the mainboard. I'll have to look up the part number
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
That board has the input connectors on it what other board are you talking about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171796653680&globalID=EBAY-US
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a pic of the board that connects to the mainboard and its called a input board.
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
Okay so what input are you having an issue with the HDMI connectors do not pass through that board they are located on the main board?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm running just standard coax cable to it so I guess that board wouldn't have anything to do with it either. I don't know though I was just sending you the two possibilities I thought it could be. So back to what it is doing. The colors are off. Not crisp images. Overly yellow or red( it's been a while since I actually had it on)( I have attached a picture of a tv that has an image similar to how mine looks(this isn't my tv but that's what it's doing) I've replaced the mainboard already I'm thinking it's the tcon board.
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I would have to agree, the tuner assembly is also located on the main board so that signal does not pass through the analog input board. That only leaves the TCON. I am assuming no one has entered the service menu and tampered with settings before this issue started.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but after the fact I even reset everything back to default settings and the screen still looks like that one in that picture but my menus still look crisp and concise but I had read some earlier stuff on just answer from people's previous problems and they kept diagnosing it as the main board so I bought one of them first but now I'm kind at this conclusion. I will move forward on this and get a t con board. Is their anything else or any other possibilities you could think of?
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
The only video processing in the unit is done on the main board and then on the TCON it has to one or other, the fact that the menu items look right rules out the LCD panel has being the problem. In this unit the menu items are most likely being derived from an IC on the Tcon board located after the video processing issue. This is why the menu looks okay while video has issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I'm in the hunt for one of these boards now do you know any info on this board or where I could get one other than a used one on eBay?
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
I am not a big fan ebay here is link to the part on Shopjimmy but make sure you check the numbers on your board to see that they match. http://www.shopjimmy.com/sharp-cpwbx3796tpzb-t-con-board.htm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also do you have a link to a video or how to I had to get the t con board out of the unit
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
Let me take a look at the service info.
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a video of it but it is simple, you may have to remove the bars that are used for the wall bracket if they are in the way, remove the metal bracket covering the Tcon board, then all the flat ribbon cables, the ribbon connectors simple flip upwards then the cable slide out, be careful with them. there are a small screws holding the Tcon to the panel, also be careful with the LVDS cable that connects the main board to the TCON. If you have any questions while disconnecting something send me a photo of what you are trying to do and I will reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do that this process should take around a week so I will contact you when the part arrives and I begin installing it. please leave this service call open until then thank you
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
You can always come back and reply to it through your open question portal, I do not close them but they do time out after a while.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I replaced the tcon board. Still same thing? I'm attaching some pics of what it looks like
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
I did not get the pictures?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
steven,i just had to call them I've tried to upload the pictures multiple times to no avail. I'm e-mailing support and they should be e-mailing them over to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here are more pics i noticed that they attached in the last post
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
If you bring up the menu does the menu items text etc look okay or does it effect the menu also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the menus are fine they are their regular color. i have already replaced the tcon board and mainboard. it has coax running into it for the video feed. I have also hooked up a dvd player to it with the red white and yellow plug in cables and the video looks the same with that as well.
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't make sense, the only video processing is done on the main board and on the Tcon, you replaced both? is this the same issue that you started with before you replaced any boards?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the same issue. My kids at one point plugged the wrong video feed into the wrong ports on the back I remember that. Since then it's done this. You might recall that I relaxed the mainboard but the main board also had another board with video plug ins that connected to it that I didn't replace. I sent you pictures of that board earlier on. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think that input board somehow completes a circuit on the main board or something like that?
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
I remember and went back through this dialog. the thing is you said that the HDMI inputs on the main board exhibit the same issue when used, the signal from these inputs does not pass through the analog input board.so that leaves the main board and the tcon as possible failures, as the menu items look okay then we can rule out the panel and the LVDS cable. I am at at a lose unless I am missing something. Just to be on the same page you did try the HDMI connectors on the main board and they do have the same issue correct? Also has anyone gone into the service menu and changed any settings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so we are back to the main board and tcon board then? I have changed the settings in the menu a long time ago but I just changed them to their original settings. And yes if I use HDMI it does the same thing. I'm on the level that maybe the main board I replaced it with was then or the t-con board was bad then? Are their any other possible issues that can cause this?
Expert:  Steven replied 1 year ago.
There really is not other then the main board or Tcon it is unlikely that you would get a board that causes exactly the same issue the as the original problem. Try to wiggle the LVDS cable slightly while watching the picture, see if their are any changes, I don't think so because you said the menu options all look good. I am out of ideas at this point, I could opt and possibly another expert could chime in with additional information or ideas.