Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Pete, I have a Samsung LCD tv without the remote. The HDMI

Customer Question

Hi Pete, I have a Samsung LCD tv without the remote. The HDMI port on the tv have stopped working. So, I am was told to reset the HDMI setting. Can you tell me how I can do so without having a remote? Thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
What is the model number of the tv?
Do all of the hdmi ports not work?
Have you tested with multiple devices (cable/satellite, dvd, game, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ps51e530a3wxxu is the model number. None of the HDMI ports are working. I have tried multiple devices. My son had forcefully pulled the cord from a port. Since then all ports stopped working.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Can you try checking if any of the analog (red/white/yellow, red/green/blue) inputs are functional still?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry..how can test the inputs..dont have input cables...the outputs are surely working though
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You would need alternate cables to test with. You don't have any of the older red/white/yellow composite video cables laying around?We can skip past this step if that is not an option, it is just helpful for confirmation/diagnostic purposes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No...i don't have any composite wires. So could we try other options
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Sure, we can skip that for now.Honestly though, this is almost certainly a hardware fault. "Hot plugging" hdmi cables (pulling forcefully, plugging/unplugging while anything is powered, etc) can induce a static shock into the tv. Hdmi circuitry is highly sensitive to electrostatic discharge, so if none of the hdmi ports are working at this point, this is what happened, and your main/input board is fried from that shock.There is no reset that can resolve that issue, and there is no menu adjustment, button, or switch to reset the "hdmi setting".What we can try is a full reset process for the whole tv:1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), changing out boards as needed. A new main board for this tv (which contains all the hdmi ports) is about a $100 part.If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $250 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.Of course you could replace the tv entirely if you prefer, or fall back to the analog connections instead (they are most likely still working), just at a lower resolution. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards,Nathan