Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Our 12 yr old Mitsubishi TV has started having picture problems

Customer Question

Our 12 yr old Mitsubishi TV has started having picture problems several times a day. It either goes black or gets a wavy pattern while sound stays fine. If I power it off and right back on the picture comes back fine.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an LT-52148 and the only device connected to it that we use is the Xfinity HD cable box
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Susan for the info.
- Is it possible to connect another video source such as DVD player etc to TV as a test to see if TV gives same problem or keep showing normal picture?
If TV gives normal picture with DVD player then problem would be coming from HD cable box so unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, turn them On and give cable box some time to reboot then check how it worked.
Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem trying to do that is that in a 24 hr period this picture issue only happens 3 or 4 times so I'd have to play a DVD for hours to see if it happens when it's on DVD!
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Susan,
There is an easy way, connect the DVD player to TV and change the video input (where DVD player is hooked) when problem occurs and it would be more easier if try unplug power cords procedure as mentioned in previous reply.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem is not resolved. The picture either goes black or gets the wavy picture for about a minute and a half and then restores to normal. By the time I get the DVD player turned on and ready to go and switched over its already corrected itself. I did the unplug and plugging back in of everything yesterday but the problem continues several times a day. Someone's the screen goes black, sometimes the wavy pattern and sometimes it goes very bright where you can barely make out the picture but since I've not been doing the power off and on the last 2 days, it always corrects itself after about 90 seconds.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Susan for the info.
So problem is with in TV and not by connected video source (DVD or Cable Box etc), I'm afraid it would need to take apart the TV to troubleshoot further with multimeter to check power supply output volts that can get unstable due to failing capacitors and produce such symptoms in TV, if power board output volts found good/ constant then next suspected thing is t-con board of TV that provides video data to internal circuitry of screen, this kind of work should be done by handy person to avoid any damage to TV, I'm sorry it seems hardware related problem in TV and not any wrong setting issue.
Please reply back if you have multimeter and can check volts on circuit board inside TV to assist you further and if you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think my husband can do those checks. I also discovered that when the picture dies it's wavy kind of thing, that one does not correct itself and I have to turn it off and then back on to get the picture back. When it goes black, it corrects itself. Unfortunately we are leaving on vacation tomorrow night so we will try to test it before we leave but it might not happen till we get back. Thanks
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
No problem Susan, we can continue it when you get back home.
Have nice trip!
Shahid.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!
Please reply back here if there is additional questions.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are back from vacation now so my husband has the back off. Where does he check the output? He has a meter.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Welcome back Susan,
There are few connectors located on power supply board and expected volts are stamped near each connector, set the meter to DC Volt range, touch black lead to meta frame of TV for ground and use red lead to measure volts while TV is working fine and again check when problem occurs, do you get any difference in volts reading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It no longer has a normal picture at all any more since last night even after powering off and on. We also found its not as old as we thought. It's an 08 model. Should there be test points? He's having trouble seeing them if so.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Please check following link to view power supply board image where connectors are circled and volts are also stamped/ marked near each connector..
http://i.imgur.com/wDk2Spz.jpg
I hope it will help to measure volts.