Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have 2 identical 32" HD TV's. 1 has been to 2 repair shops.

Customer Question

I have 2 identical 32" HD TV's. 1 has been to 2 repair shops. Both have said "no problem found" and last shop was $100 fee to tell me nothing was wrong. T.V. will just randomly cut off. Now 2nd T.V. is doing the same. Other than this problem T.V. are excellent and I don't want to throw away and buy 2 new sets. I don't want to live with problem either. I think it is faulty fuse (if it has one) or some part getting hot and shutting off. Any help? Thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;

Does it seem to take approx. the same time (every times) before it shutsdown ?

When it does , can you just turn it back on and it will play again for some time or that exact time or does it get shorter as the tv warms up ?

Does it act as if you had turned the tv off and/or does the light flashes at the front for example ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

(1) problem does not happen at same time. (2) Sometimes you can turn it right back on, but sometime you have to wait. It is not effected by how long TV has been on. (3) The blue light in front does go off and on with problem.

Maybe Hint! Daughter has "taped" power cord to hold plug going into TV tight and it appears to work.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
LOL that maybe why the repair shop could not find the problem !Try wiggling that cord and see if you can provoke it to turn off ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have 1 of the TVs at home, the other off at school with daughter. (Daddy got them identical TVs for college). I will check power cord tonight and give you call. I'm getting information from them on phone. If you have children, you know that if you don't ask exact question they don't tend to volunteer all the information you might need. Thanks, ***** ***** you tomorrow A.M.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
LOLOL gotcha !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jack it didn't work moving cord. TV cuts off but still has power as small light at bottom is still on. When TV is on you can feel heat on left side, mid way up looking at TV from rear. Not really too hot but that is only spot on back that has heat. Next?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Ok then Steve , thats too bad it is not as simple as a loose power cord because next would come voltage monitoring to find if the main board cuts off the power on signal or the power board cuts off on his own and unless you have the correct equipment this could get complicated.

There still might be other test though but that would definitely involve removing the back cover .

Then ,did you say that both tv`s were exactly the same model ?

If so , would it be possible to get both of them at the same location for a possible board swap later on ?

Right now i`m thinking about the power board and the back cover remove and a fan cooling it down while it is playing .

And/or the opposite and heating it up with a hair dryer to see if it would provoke it into shutdown then the fan again until it can be confirm if it is a heat problem for a first thing and if so then find out which board is heat affected .

That would be the first test without meters .

My guess is that the power board is the culprit here but without being there with tools and meters ,well it would be difficult to be 100% positive.

So to resume this and to answer that question "Next ?" , well the back cover has to come off either tv

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Jack. TVs are exactly same model. I'll remove back and see what's up with hair dryer 1st. then try cooling with fan. Could someone with normal mechanical ability swap out parts on board. I'm hoping they plug in. Doesn't everything plug in now? I'll let you know. Steve

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes its all plug in now and you could say Plug&Play .

Considering the low cost of the boards now and unavailabilty of single components you jut repalce the faulty boards now so if you can pull plugs and use a screwdriver then you`re in business , just need to find out which board is the culprit .

Let me know how that goes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jack: When TV cuts off the red light that stays on when TV is off and set is plugged into electric supply stays on. If I give you model # ***** TV can you help me find part # ***** board? I think it's time to start trying to replace board. I hear they don't cost a lot to replace and similar boards can be used if you can't get the exact # ***** I'll try to get you a number or some type of id for board.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Yes i agree and now would be the time for you to give me a model number to work with please ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jack: Sorry it has been so long following up. The TVs are 32 LD450 UA.CUSWLHD. What part should I order to replace 1st to see if problem is solved? Is there page from shop manual that will give me steps?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello again , long time.... Do you have the tv`s back cover removed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not yet. I'll do that this weekend. What should I look for?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Look for this (link below) ;http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-eay60868901-power-supply-unit.htmAnd verify the part #EAY60868901 on one of the bar coded sticker .This should be the correct board but there is another version of it so you want to double check and if it is the correct number then you`re all set ,just order it.If not then give me the other number which would likely be EAY60869102 and I`ll find it for you if you wishAs I said above, nowadays it is way cheaper and easier most of the time to just replace the whole board instead of trying for a repair.If that does it for you then don`t forget to rate and note that you can reach me here at any time after rating if you need help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jack: number on bar code is EA69N608691022833. also on board PCB: EAX61124201/15 Rev 1.2 2010.01. 25. I found part with same board #, but not same bar code # ***** replacement board is for LG 32 Model 350. I have 32 Model 450. Do I keep looking?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

This # ***** is the only number you need to pay attention to , never mind the other numbers , here is a page full of it , take your pick ;

http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-eax61124201%252f15.html

Note that this board fits in different models so just use the part number in either tv and you`re in business

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jack: The boards finally came in from China. I replaced both boards w/o problem. I turned on TVs and every thing looked good until ..... I turned on both TVs again and as if they were in sinc, both turned off at 15 min.s. TVs did not have cable signal at time. Is there timer or magic fairy that cuts off TV at 15 min.s w/o signal? I'm getting more determined to fix perfectly good pictured TVs or else write LG and express my displeasure w/ product. Any ideas now? Steve

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Actually if it does not have a signal then this should be normal .Try them with a signal now and in any case i could not see them failing at the exact same time
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hope this does it for you and please do not forget to rate so i can get paid for my time on this.