Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a used Samsung PN60e550. Checked it out before I brought

Customer Question

I have a used Samsung PN60e550. Checked it out before I brought it home. Picture and sound were fine. Picture won't come on, just Sound. Got it to come on once, perfectly . For about 10 minutes. No sound again. I swear that if I look very closely. I can see some movement. But it's nearly black.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info.
The Y Sus won't cause the set to not have sound- so that's not a likely culprit.
Additionally if you can barely see movement behind the screen- then your buffers are not working since they light the screen.
Thirdly, the power supply provides voltages to both the sustains and buffers as well as the mainboard- so without further testing the power board is the most likely culprit.
In order to narrow it down a $10 meter at Wal Mart would be needed, which is more cost effective than putting parts into the set without certainty.
However if you want to forego the meter, then your power supply board is where you would start. This board provides 4 separate DC voltages at the outputs, and neither directly affects the others- so the set could power up and provide a dim image- even though other voltages are shorted/dead.
Let me know how you'd like to proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I mistyped. There is always sound.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, then you're down to the power supply (still most likely), and the buffers.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Power board provides 200 and 70 vdc to the sustain and buffer boards, as well as 15 volt to the logic board, 5 volts to the mainboard and 3.3 volts of standby. It appears your high voltages are not present at this point, or you have faulty buffers- but there's no way to pin point with certainty unless you can test Vs and Va from the power board. Or the layman's solution is to next replace the power board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So likely the Y Buff or power supply?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I'm just checking to see if there's an upper and lower buffer in this set or not. Will be right back.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
In this set they are referred to as the Upper and Lower Y Scan Drive boards. They are available at the link below but since your entire screen is black- I would lean more towards the power board: http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=PN60e550If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'll look a bit more and we'll talk again tomorrow. I'm going to TRY and borrow A multi.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay that sounds good. The voltages are stamped on the power supply board (pins marked Vs and Va). Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?