Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have. Yamaha rx-v663 reciever i have sound but no picture.

Customer Question

I have. Yamaha rx-v663 reciever i have sound but no picture. I plug in my fire stick, apple box and have no issues with the hdmi slots or picture. Yet with the cable sound no picture whats the issue and how do i fix it please.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Can you please elaborate? Are you connecting the Firestick and Apple Box to the Yamaha? Or is the Cable Box the only thing connected to the Yamaha?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only cable from cable box to receiver to tv
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so you're saying the Fire and Apple are both connected directly to the TV and are displaying correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the Yamaha should show up with a piano image with Yamaha on the screen when the TV detects it. Since you said it doesn't even show up as a source, please pull the HDMI cable out of the back of the Apple TV box, and plug it right into the HDMI OUT on the Yamaha. Then use the Samsung's SOURCE button to select that Input. Do you see the Yamaha splash screen on the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me try
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay no problem. Reply back once you're done please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not recognizing the source keeps telling me no signal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So we are clear its a samsung tv with the Yamaha reciever not an apple tv
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The Apple Box you mentioned in your original question is what I was referring to. Yes, Samsung TV with Apple TV (the name of the box) plugged in, and a Yamaha receiver you're trying to connect to the Samsung TV, with a Cable Box connected to the Yamaha. Okay, this isn't good news since we know that HDMI cable works. The Yamaha is turned ON correct? Have you tried pressing the HOME button on the Yamaha. Is this Yamaha brand new and purchased from an authorized retailer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not new a few years old
Wheres the home button
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, hold off on the Home Button. Have you tried unplugging the Yamaha from power for 5 seconds, then plugging it back in to see if it will then display on the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol and yes its on i get sound no picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, sorry about that other question. I didn't know if it was a first time setup.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's ok i needed the laugh
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The MENU button on the Yamaha remote brings up the Home MENU. If that doesn't display, and we've tried different cables, then we're looking at a hardware fault in the receiver's HDMI Out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the home button on the reciever
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
It's the MENU button on the remote I was referring to. I may have found something good here. If you haven't already tried this, click on the link below and go to page 119. Follow the instructions to reset the receiver and then try getting the Yamaha to display again: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageBank/v20080617152000/Manuals/022/022RXV663.PDF
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm pulling it up now
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, sounds good. Let me know what happens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant get it to set to video conv im in menu and it doesn't show up
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please reset the unit as outlined in those instructions, and let me know exactly what happens please.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Does the TV detect the Yamaha as a source- and does anything at all display from the receiver on the TV screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So i reset the unit tv still no source, made sure its converting to hdmi as instructed on page 97 still no signal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing shows from the reciever
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to heat that, and this indicates a fault in the Yamaha that requires service to the unit. The Mainboard in the receiver is what processes the video out and needs to be replaced. The average cost for this repair is in the $200-$225 range through an authorized repair center, and given this it is almost more cost effective to purchase another unit in lieu of repairing this one. However the choice is yours and if you'd like to have it repaired, you can locate a tech at the link below:
www.stereorepair.com
Alternatively a new Yamaha can be purchased for around $280 for an entry level unit at the link below:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXV379/Yamaha-RX-V379.html?tp=179
I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will call tomorrow
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome and best of luck with the unit. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?