Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.
14090506

I am getting into the TV repair business and have about 20

Customer Question

I am getting into the TV repair business and have about 20 RCA 50" LED screens that are cracked. Where do I go to buy as a dealer?
I have looked on the web for hours.
Thanks
Karl
Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 1 year ago.
Hi Karl,
You will discover that replacing the screen will cost more than a new TV. For that model - you will have to go directly to RCA for a replacement screen.
None of my suppliers have a LCD panel listed as an available part. The LCD panels are supplied by different manufacturers (mostly Samsung) and a different panel part number can be in two different TVs of the same model. There should be a sticker on the LCD panel with the part number and often the manufacturer source. That is what you need to search for a replacement panel. However, you will find that a replacement panel will cost as much or more than a new TV (like building a car from parts).
Ask if you have any further questions.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. But now these are LED screens. Most of these TV mfg Jan-Mar 2015. Does that make a difference?

Expert:  Rod replied 1 year ago.
Hi Karl -
The difference is the back lighting. LED means the back lights are LED vs the older LCD TV which were florescent bulbs. That is the only difference. For some of the LCD TVs the back lights are a component of the panel (not replaceable) other LCD screen the back lights can be replaced separately.
Yet - being LED or Florescent is no different in the replacement cost.
Thanks,