Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Tv comes on but can barely see picture no sound what's going

Customer Question

Tv comes on but can barely see picture no sound what's going on
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info.
1) What's the model number off the back of the set?
2) How long have you owned it for and when did the problem occur?
3) What's connected to the TV for sources (cable box, DVD, etc.), and do all have the same response on the TV?
4) If you grab the original TV remote and press MENU does the MENU display on the screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dx-32l200a12 I've owned it about 2 years. Nothing's connect ed to it don't have the remote
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hrllo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean nothing's connected to it? There must be at least the cable feed right? Or an antenna, or something- otherwise you'd have no programming.
So if nothing is connected (no cable box, or sat box), then how do you change channels and adjust volume- using the buttons on the TV?
Please elaborate so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It have an antenna hook up to it..My tv turns on but the screen light is real light u only can see it when its real dark
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
How do you change channels normally?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No remote so you must be using the channel buttons on the TV correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the side of the tv
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If so, go and press an of the buttons on the TV, and let me know if the Channel indicator, volume indicator and MENU ALL appear dark on the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It dont matter what channel i turn to its still a dim light
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if the "Channel Number" on the screen is also dark, along with the VOLUME INDICATOR and the MENU please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You didnt asked that and no
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Sure I did, it's above on the page right here: " If so, go and press an of the buttons on the TV, and let me know if the Channel indicator, volume indicator and MENU ALL appear dark on the screen."
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If nothing appears bright on the screen, then you're looking at a power supply/inverter board failure in the set. However you can try a hard reboot to see if this clear things up. If it does not then you will need to have the power board replaced. The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Try this procedure up to 3 times if subsequent tries do not work. Please reply back and we can proceed
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If the reset does NOT work, then you have a faulty power board and will need to replace that component to fix the set. The part you would need is available for purchase at the link below: http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Dynex-32-TV-DX-32L200A12-Power-Supply-6MS00120C0/240740312?gpid=76984044061&gpkwd=&goog_pla=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw7_mrBRDH4Y2UjLHEmfcBEiQA8OTHf8nAVyG2pdzpDoGKgHU1v5OyWYIX07NUwphZYUsaGzgaAvGT8P8HAQ However if you're not comfortable with this type of repair a shop will typically charge $175 parts and labor for this repair and can be located at the link below: www.tvrepairpros.com If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its sound but no picture
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please read the entire response above. I stated if you try those steps and there is still no picture the TV's power board needs to be replaced. This is all outlined in the post above yours. Please read all of it carefully. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance or have any other questions on this?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please reply back here- not by opening a new question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed the power supply but still can not see a picture.what is wrong
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
What is wrong- that's hard to say. Bad power supply, the LCD panel has failed- a connector is not plugged in tight, etc. Are you still able to see the shadowy image? Are all connectors plugged in tight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what you are going to do about it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Remote Tech Support. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that i'd like to get a refund or get the problem fixed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please fix the problem. I'm still waiting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see a picture on my tv.can you tell me how to fix it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tell me how to apply for a refund. I will do that before my 30 days run out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome back to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, please confirm "...see picture no sound..." or "..Its sound but no picture..."
Are you then considering a more involved DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multimeter?
Still, if with sound but no picture and the power supply/inverter board has been replaced with a known to be good board, then carefully/cautiously confirm the presence of high voltage between the VBL + and VBL - pins of connector X602 of the new power supply board :
• if not present, then the replacement power supply is highly suspect;
• if present, then the panel (P/N(###) ###-#### ***** more particularly the embedded lamps are highly suspect.
Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i like more diy. No i don't have access or familiar with a millimeter.you're more than welcome to help me.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate your post back.
As inquired above; "...please confirm "...see picture no sound..." or "..Its sound but no picture..."..."
Which of the two (2) conditions exist?