Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a new Vizio flat screen TV and the remote so that TV

Customer Question

I have a new Vizio flat screen TV and the remote so that TV is affecting my evaporative cooler which is in the same room commentI have a new vizio flat screen tv and the remote to that tv is affecting my about to give cooler which is in the same room not plugged intof the same outlet. every time I just the sound either higher or lower on my TV it causes my evaporativeo cooler to turn on. the evaporative cooler is now not working properly. Any suggestions as to what can be done
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. This would be happening because the evap cooler has the ability to be controlled by remote as well, and the frequencies for the 2 devices happen to be on a very similar frequency, which creates the inadvertent commands. The quickest, simplest, and easiest option would be to disable remote control of the evap. If you look along the front panel , you should see the small infrared "eye" (sensor) on the front of the cooler, usually near the control panel buttons. You can put a piece of thick electrical tape over it to obscure the sensor. That will prevent it from picking up commands from the vizio, but also from the evap remote, which would now need to be controlled only by its onboard buttons.I realize that takes away some convenience for using the cooler, but you most likely use the tv far more than the cooler, so occasionally turning it on/off by hand would still be a lot easier than adjusting the tv manually and frequently. There are some more advanced options as well, but they can get quite pricey (in the $300 range) to route controls do the tv only. If you'd like more info on that, I'm happy to explain further. Perhaps one other option to consider would be to just return the new tv, and exchange it for another brand (samsung, lg, etc) that wouldn't be on the same frequency as the cooler. It is a pain as well, but would get around the issue entirely at really no additional cost, and is a one time process. Best regards,Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, just checking in to see if you need any further help with this. If I’ve answered your question, please take a moment to rate my service, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. You are also welcome to reply back to me at no extra cost if I can be of any further assistance.
Thank you,