Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Akai Model PDP4294 no pix, but have sound.

Customer Question

Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from yo. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Do you have a multi meter so we can check some voltages inside the TV? Also, what work has been done on this set- if anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have meter.no work has been done. I have the covers off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would be nice if you could call me now!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I can't call you- I work online only. If you want someone to call, I can opt out. Let me know.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If you want to continue, then let's keep at it. So, there's no light or priming of the screen at all when the TV is turned on- correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. The screen is Blake
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, set your meter to DC volts then ground your black probe to the metal frame of the TV. With the TV on, use the red probe and check the pins on the connectors marked Vs and Va. These are on connectors CN805 and CN806. Let me know if you get close to 190 vdc for Vs and round 70 vdc for Va.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checking now and will be back in a few minutes. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay that sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On two Vs connectors (one black wire and one white wire on 805) measure 15.8v with black probe on VG and zero with black probe on the appliance input ground terminal.
The Volts measure on the two Va's (806) = zero when black probe is on green input ground terminal and red probe is on either Va's. The volts here are also 15.8 when the black probe is on the Vg. All are measured in Vdc.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, we don't need Vg, we need Vs now. It's Va and Vs (those are the high voltage lines that drive your Sustain and Buffer boards).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Volts are zero if black probe is to any metal surface.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
channels change fine and sound is good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is grounding to the green input appliace ground for the black Probe OK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, it looks like we have no high voltage at all, which I expected?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay then you need to disconnect the Sustain boards and then try checking those voltages again. If the voltages are still missing then you need to replace your power supply board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will disconnect plugs CN805 and CN806 and measure again. Note: CN806 does not have a plug in to that receptacle?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Ground the black probe to any metal part of the TV's frame. Also, the channels changing and sound simply means the 5 volts to the mainboard is present- and we're not really concerned with that. CN806 has no plug?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right, no plug in CN806. Will try to send pix now. OK?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If you want, not sure what I am looking for in the pics exactly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Why is CN806 beside CN805 blank?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
We wouldn't be privy to that- it's very common for manufacturers to change revisions of boards- use the same board for different TV's, etc. etc. etc.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You would need to replace your power supply board to fix this problem which can be purchased at the link below for your set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-PPM42S3-POWER-SUPPLY-P-N-BN96-00249A-180-DAY-WARRANTY-/111644241361?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ordered the PSU. Please cancel the additional time. Thank you very much. I will give five stars if you can cancel. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I can't cancel anything- I'm a tech not a site employee. You would need to contact customer service from the home page for that.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I see you did not rate me for my time. Please click the rating and then I can submit to customer service for the price to be adjusted- but again keep in mind I am a site user as you are- and not privy to billing.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?