Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My 42 inches toshiba tv has no picture no sound but light power

Customer Question

my 42 inches toshiba tv has no picture no sound but light power on and green
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the complete model number off of your TV?
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?
- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tv model is 42xv540u. the tv was connected to a source protector and the blueray console was connected to the tv. the problem its been for two months now
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info.
- Have you tried to unplug TV, bluray and source protector power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV is not connected since I got a new TV so right now is disconnect completely
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, does any graphics/ menu screen appears on TV when push menu button on TV or its remote?
Do you get program sound from TV speakers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, Nothing. When I turn on the green light appears and nothing else
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, let me check in TV manual and get back to you in 20 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I don't have related service manual, sorry about it and will opt out to open the question to all on website, hopefully some one will soon respond to assist you further.
Thanks.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, consider an experiment. Power on the TV and set to a program/channel. If at all possible, darken the room where the TV is. Wait for about 5 minutes or more. Shine a flashlight at an angle (not directly) and nearly but not touching the screen where the volume level / menu display is usually seen. Press the VOL UP/DOWN or MENU button and note if a dark/ghostly image of the volume level or MENU could be seen.Please post back results.The above is a test to determine if it is indeed a backlighting issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm here again. The answer to your question is yes. I checked with the flashlight and I was able to see the menu and move from one field to another
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please. Respond...
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
This observation is very significant as the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects are:• faulty power supply 75011526 (PE0580A) (least likely);• failed inverter(s) 27-D023611-M and/or 27-D023611-S (likely);• faulty main board 75012469 (PE0541B) or 75011534 (PE0541B) (most likely).All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multimeter and even perhaps a soldering iron?