Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I want to reboot my Tv and I don't have the code TV,

Customer Question

I want to reboot my Tv and I don't have the code for the TV, also what channel must the tv be on, all I'm getting is "no signal"
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;
Code, signal,reboot ???
Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?
Or directly to antenna/cable from the wall outlet ,no box with its own remote ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
connec ted to a fios box with a p265 remote
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ithink its a P265
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok and why would you want to reboot the tv ?
The tv was working and you lost the signal , is that it ?
What type of cables /connection do you have between the cable box and tv ?
Is it HDMI or color coded component cables ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its HDMI1 its now telling me to run channel scan
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok then you are simply on the wrong INPUT .Look either directly on the tv or tv`s own remote for a button called INPUT and press that button repeatedly to get back to the input where the cable box is connected.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
By the way , you can also use the HDMI button on the remote
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My tv was knocked out by lightening, it said no signal, I got a power board from Insignia, all worked except it told me to do a channel search or a channel scan I just tried both Hdmi and the input button neither worked now I have a blank screen
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok , I`ll start with that channel scan ;
It is redundant and useless as there is nothing connected in the antenna terminal , you are using HDMI so you need to have your tv on a HDMI input , either 1 or 2
Are you able to set your tv to those input and is the cable box turned on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's telling me torun auto channel scan, Its on HDMI1 How do I run a channel scan
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
For the auto scan your tv needs to have an antenna connected into the antenna terminal but again that is completely redundant and please forget that as it doesn`t help at all in what you are trying to do .
Again "totally redundant" , the tv is asking for an antenna and you have a cable box .
Now to get back to that HDMI , I will have a few questions that I need to have answered precisely please ;
Did that "no signal " message appear before or after replacing the power board ?
In other words did that message pop-up right after the lightning strike ?
Was your cable box checked or verified on another tv for example or better yet replaced ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll answer as best I can immediately after the strike I got the No Signal after replacing the board I got No signal. before replacing the board the tv would not come on No I did not check it on any other tv
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then it is my expeience that lighning strikes travel along the cable system more than often and there is a good chance that your cable box is gone , hence the no signal message , that would need to be verified either by connecting that box on another tv with a HDMI cable or testing this TV's hdmi inputs with something like a dvd,game etc.
If the tv see those then that box is defective .
Now for the "no signal"message right after the lightning strike , again I could see the cable box or TV's main board , not the power board but now you are telling me that the tv would not turn on anymore yet you had a "no signal" message ??
Do you mean that after that message it turned off and you could not turn it on again until you replaced the power board ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after the hit I got no signal for a moment then all went blank. so I shut it off. next time the box came on but the the tv was off until I replaced the power board. now the tv comes on and the box has a light also but I'm getting the No signal. when I hit the HDMI on the tv it tells me to run the auto channel search, and I've tried to get the fios remote to run both with no success
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Its giving that scan message because it cannot find anything else but its own antenna terminal active on the tv .
In other words the tv does not see anything like a cable box connected to it.
Test or have that cable box tested or try something else on the tv .
I would give a 90% chance that the cable box is defective
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks jack it looks like I have to call fios for a new box and let them reset the whole thing
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.
By the way , you can reach me here at any time after rating if you have questions.