Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a twelve year old tv. The remote will not turn the tv

Customer Question

I have a twelve year old tv. The remote will not turn the tv on. If I touch the screen the tv goes on, and the remote works in changing channels but not to put it off. I can put it off by touching the screen near the top of the screen.At times it goes on and off by itself.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;
When you say that you touch the screen , you mean that there are tactiles /p-touch type buttons on the tv itself , correct ?
Could you please lookup your tv`s model number located on the back cover ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no buttons to touch I just touch the screen It is too difficult for me to check on the model
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok then it is p-touch
In that case , Do you happen to have a cell phone camera,digital camera ,tablet with camera or any camera that has a display or screen to test the remote ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Is there any number on the remote ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see any. I have cable and that remote also does not put the tv on or off but does change the channels
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this no BN59-00857A
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is the remote but without a camera to test it then the only thing I could do is to find you a replacement but then again we don`t know if the remote is the problem .
so the only thing I can think of would be to try and disconnect the TV's power cord a couple of minutes and try it again .
Can you do that ?
BY the way , about the cable remote , that is normal that it will change the channel as they are the cable box channels,so we cannot use that as reference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I,ll try
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
o.k and in the mean time I will find you a remote just in case it is the problem
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how that goes
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Can you see my reply here
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Please do not open other posts ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I wrote the remote is working but the tv goes on and off by itself. Also just jarring the set puts it on and off. The screen does not have to be touched
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok then it would appear that you also have bad connections either internally or at the back of the tv if that power cord is the plug-in type .
You will somehow need to get to the back of it to verify that but does the tv turn off/on without touching it as well ?
Glad to hear that the remote is working now though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AS I WROTE THE REMOTE IS W0RKING BUT THE TV GOES ON AND OFF BY ITSELF. Also just jarring the set puts it on and off The screen does not have to be touched
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Yes I got that but at first you said the remote was not fully functional.In any case never mind the remote now if it is working .I wll now switch to [email protected] mode where there is no timer