Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I pushed STB "power" button instead of TV on the TV remote, now I can't see

Customer Question

I pushed STB "power" button instead of TV on the TV remote, now I can't see channels.
I have done the self diagnosis for picture...I know it's cuz I pushed the wrong button on one or both remotes...tv remote or cable remote...
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Does your TV remote has button labeled as Input or Source or TV/Video?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Source
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The source is HD-1 Charter Cable...my cable provider
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the input I chose. I could have chosen TV but I didn't think that was correct.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK. push Source button to get input source list on TV screen, select one to see if it shows cable box picture?
If it doesn't then select next input source in list and check, if still no picture then try next video input and hopefully any one video input source will bring cable box picture back on TV.
If problem still persist then unplug cable box power cord from wall for 5 minutes to reset, replug back in and let it reboot and hopefully it should work to get cable box picture on TV.
Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I started to send...the Source button prompts a screen that has the following choices: 1) TV 2) HDMI-Charter 3)Screen Mirroring 4) HDMI 2 and so on.
The TV set up was configured to put the cable through HDMI-1
The problem does not appear to be with the cable connection. Would it be significant that the STB menu shows "no channels listed"
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
STB menu has nothing to do with channels because TV isn't connected to antenna, TV gets video signal from cable box which is video source of TV so need to select HDMI-1 input and if picture still doesn't appear then please unplug cable box power cord from wall for 5 minutes to reset, replug back in and let it reboot and hopefully it should work to get cable box picture on TV.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I will unplug the cable box as you have asked. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged and am now plugging it back in.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** please get me the model number off of your TV if problem persist?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does persist. Here is the model # *****
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear that, is there any other video source/ device such as Bluray etc connected to HDMI input of TV and does it work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. We dont have anything else connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Usually I use the cable remote to move about the tv channels because it is easier to see and work through. Could I have messed up that remote? When I push power on the cable remote the cable button lights up. but when you push GUIDE as I normally would, nothing appears. The tv is blank once you hit power and the SMART TV logo appears. Before I messed it up, after the SMART TV, the screen showed whatever TV channel I had last watched. Now the screen goes blank/black.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it could be wrong setting in cable box as well, does TV show source list on screen?
If so, does it stay on HDMI-1 input when select or reverts back to previous selection?
Is the cable box power On?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It still shows HDMI-1 Charter is checked. On the main screen where the tv comes on and you can choose You Tube or other apps, it shows TV...if I choose TV, it takes me to a screen that appears to be the French Open, which I last watched probably, as I went out of town on Thursday until tonite. That picture is frozen. Yes the cable box is on and is showing the number 5 which I assume is the channel I was watching.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have fixed it. :-) I went to the cable box and pushed a re-set kind of button. It is working now.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, I was looking into STB option in TV menu, glad to know that reset the cable box worked to resolve the problem. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Thanks.