Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a samsung tv just about 14 months old. We had bad storms

Customer Question

I have a samsung tv just about 14 months old. We had bad storms the other night. My neighbor behind me took a direct lightning hit. Killed everything electrical in his house. I use an HD antenna for tv with a roku as well. The cable for the antenna was screwed into the tv but the cable itself was shot off with a slight bit of black soot. My roku also attached died. My wifi not attached but few feet from it. Trashed. My DVD player attached is fine. My tv will not power on. I took the back off and the circuit boards look fine. No burnt areas or signs of anything. Is there any hope of fixing this reasonably ?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems.
Yes there's hope to fix this, but there's two boards that will need to be replaced. First is the Mainboard, and this is the component the coaxial cable screws into. This board processes all of the AV signals, and will have been damaged down the ground of the coaxial cable without any doubt. The other part that needs to be replaced is the power supply board. If there's no power light on the set at all, the power board at the very least has a blown mains fuse, and in most cases a shorted IC or shorted capacitors. These boards commonly appear exactly the same whether good or bad, as there are all surface mount components on them which short internally- not visibly.
In order to fix the set you need to order these two boards and replace them. The Mainboard is at the following link for $47:
http://www.discounteddealz.com/product.asp?itemid=97344&gclid=Cj0KEQjw18-rBRDogrTg4Lusuu0BEiQACs8YQhRhhl_uEUvicULveLSW75OO9NWuqNoHrACmkcW_w_AaAomZ8P8HAQ
The power supply board should have it's fuse checked for continuity with a meter, and if it's blown a new fuse would need to be soldered onto the board. However it's highly likely the new fuse will blow as well as it protects the AC line and also the primary of the step down transformer. So in most cases we opt to replace the power board as well, which is available at the following link for $25:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-UN40EH5000-POWER-SUPPLY-BOARD-BN44-00496A-PSLF760C04A-REV-1-3-NEW-/171483054195?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
These boards are both plug and play and can be replaced by yourself with nothing more than a screwdriver.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
So for roughly $75 in parts (plus shipping), you'll be able to repair the set and have it working again. Alternatively, a shop will charge closer to $400 parts and labor for this repair, in which case it is not cost effective.