Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Samsung Plasma TV 500+ 550 I can receive a signal

Customer Question

I have a Samsung Plasma TV 500+ 550 I can receive a signal when I connect the dvd player directly to the TV, when I connect the Onkyo receiver up to the TV, I get sound on my stereo speakers but no picture. Have you seen this before and how can I correct this
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Were you getting DVD picture on TV via Onkyo before and recently got the problem or it is first time setting up system?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First time setting up the system I already tried the system on an RCA TV and it worked without issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info.
Please get me the complete model number off of Onkyo receiver, DVD player and TV to suggest best connection setup.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TX-NR636 onkyo DVD blue ray LG BD530
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info.
I assume TV is hooked to Onkyo HDMI Out and LG BD player would be connected in any HDMI input of Onkyo, is this correct?
If so, please eject any disc from LG BD player and press and hold STOP button on player for more than 6 seconds.
Turn Off LG player for 1 minute, turn it On, select correct HDMI input in TV to get Onkyo output signal, does TV display LG BD player screen now?
Please reply back with the result.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the tv is hooked up to the onkyo main hdmi out and the lg is also a hdmi hooked into the onkyo bd/dvd input
On the screen no change message no signal check connected device power cable connection and source selection. I check all source selections and they are correct
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, have you tried the step requested in previous reply..
"Eject any disc from LG BD player and press and hold STOP button on player for more than 6 seconds. Turn Off LG player for 1 minute, turn it On, select correct HDMI input in TV to get Onkyo output signal, does TV display LG BD player screen now?"
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes after the steps is the message that came up on the TV do you want me to try it again
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Sure, please try it again as it seems Onkyo isn't processing high resolution video output of LG BD player for some reason and causing the problem, above mentioned step will reduce the video resolution of LG player and hopefully it will help to resolve the problem.
Please reply back with the result.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The results of the second test are the same what I'm confused about is that when I connect to a rca TV everything works when I connect directly from the DVD player to the same Samsung it works. I also have the same issue when I connect DirecTV cable box
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
This is odd and seems HDMI handshake/ communication conflict between Samsung TV and Onkyo receiver.
Have you tried to upgrade Onkyo firmware through USB memory stick? If not yet, please check following Onkyo link and download firmware USB file along with instructions to proceed..
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR636&class=Receiver
and if Onkyo firmware is already up to date then there is alternate work around to connect cable box and DVD player directly in TV and connect optical cable in Digital Audio Out at back of TV and hook it in Optical In of Onkyo to get sound whatever is being watched on TV.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but this is a unsatisfactory result the Onkyo is brand new and works on a cheap rca TV I have to believe it's something with the TV. I hook the DVD player on another Samsung TV and it worked Im not sure I should pay 48 dollars with these results
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I understand, have you tried to turn On Anynet+ option in Samsung TV menu?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is on I also tried to turn it off same results no signal
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'm out of ideas what it could be causing the problem so let me opt out to open the question, hopefully some one will soon respond to assist you further.
Please do not rate my answer and leave it as it is.
Thanks.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only... Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the TV. Still, consider a RESET of the Onkyo. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try: please see the link below. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92079112/Onkyo%20TX-NR636%20Reset.jpg May have to be done a number of times. This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern or even a compatibility issue; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose other problems.