Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

How do I get the auto channel search started? my set says that

Customer Question

how do I get the auto channel search started? my set says that I need to do a search, but there isn't any button that says how to go about that procedure. what do I do now??
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Is the TV hooked to cable box for channels and you use cable remote to change channels on TV?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cable box, at present the tv audio works with the DVD player, but will not work when I am in the regular tv mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also the user guide says nothing bout the channel search.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well?????????
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, please push Input or Source button on TV remote a few times to check each video input of TV as one should give you regular cable box picture.
If it doesn't fix the issue then unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tv was unplugged and the problem was not solved. I just tried the input button for several times and nothing happens.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Did you try to unplug cable box power cord from wall as requested in previous reply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
video works fine with the dvd player, and it did also work with the video but no audio in the direct tv mode. now that it has been unplugged all that I can get is the channel search mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is any body there???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I understand, TV is switched to TV/Tuner mode because Direct TV box is either unplugged or powered Off so TV doesn't get video signal at HDMI input port.
Please replug Direct TV box power cord to get it power up, make sure connection cord from Direct TV box and TV is plugged securely in both units, turn On TV and try Input button on TV Remote a few times to check video inputs as one should present Direct TV box picture.
Auto channel search in TV will work if TV is connected to antenna.
Please reply back with the result.
Thanks.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Please give me little time to reply as typing the reply takes few minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the problem is that before getting the channel search, which came about when I unplugged the tv and plugged it back in , I had video but no audio. now that I have unplugged the tv to reset it the channel search is on and I can get it to start, who do I get the tv to do a channel search?????????????????????????????????????
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
As I explained, TV must be connected to an Antenna to preform auto-channel-search.
Is there any antenna hooked to your TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have an antenna, I have cable, I thought that this was understood. sorry
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
ah OK, press Menu on TV remote to get menu screen.
Press right button on highlight Channels option and push down button on TV remote to select Auto Channel Search and press Enter then select Cable Service option and press Enter to start channel search in TV.
Please note that above info will work if Coaxial cable from wall directly plugged in Antenna pin at back of TV.
Please reply back with the result.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this will take a few minutes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I have a cable box then why would i want to plug directly into the tv??
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
There are few different type of cable box utilized for cable service, one hooked in Antenna input of TV to get cable box output signal which needs channel scan and other/ latest one hooked in HDMI Input of TV and it needs to select correct Input in TV like you so when watch DVD player etc.
It would be very easy to sort it out if check at back of cable box and TV to see what type of connection cable/cord/wire runs between cable box and TV and what input of TV it is plugged into.