Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Magnavox 42MF408B television won't update firmware

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Where did you get the update file from?
How large is your usb stick?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I couldn't find the update on the magnavox site, but I found it at a Phillips site I believe. The zip file is named 42mf438b_27_fus_aen.zip. My USB stick is 64 GB.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
The size if the stick may be the problem, most of these magnavox tvs are very basic and can't recognize larger sizes. Try a 4gb or smaller stick if possible and see if that works for you.You must also be absolutely sure that the update file you are trying to load is the correct version for your exact model. If it is not, then best case it isn't recognized, worst case it will try the update and "brick" your tv, damaging it beyond repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had my stick formatted with only a 3 GB partition with FAT32 and then only FAT. If you think I might have the wrong update then I'm counting on you to help me find the right one.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Can you double check your model number for me? I'm not finding anything at all for what you posted initially.In my experience a smaller partition is not sufficient, you need a physically smaller drive. I know it sounds odd, but it doesn't hurt to try if you have an old one laying around. Can you send me the link to the file you downloaded so I can check it?Can you also look in the tv setup menu and tell me the current version?Are you having a specific performance problem that you are looking to resolve, or just updating for the sake of updating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have any other USB sticks laying around. Here is the link to file I downloaded:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=ca&mid=Link_Software&ctn=42MF438B/27

Current version is
LC81ULP-1.11
MAG LC08SP 16:9

We're trying to update the software because the tv intermittently emits loud static.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Can you double check the tv model number for me please
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Also for the static, that is very unlikely to be a firmware related issue. Does that happen on all inputs/sources?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sticker on the back reads 42MF438B/27

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay that is a bit different than what you posted initially, so I wanted to make sure. If the model really is 42MF438B/27 then the update file you have is fine. However, the static issue is not something addressed by this update. That is much more likely to be a hardware fault or a connection/cabling issue. You need the stick formatted in FAT, and it should be 4gb or less, preferably even less (2gb or lower).Keep in mind this is a pretty old tv (2008 model), and usb stick sizes of greater than that just weren't around commonly back then, and the tv wasn't designed to recognize them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What am I supposed to do if I can't find a usb stick 4gb or less? (I probably can't in any store these days). Also, what if that doesn't resolve the issue? I don't want to pay without resolution of the issue. I hope you understand.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Well as I mentioned, this is highly unlikely to be a firmware issue anyway. What you are experiencing is not typically a firmware problem and I have no expectation it would resolve the problem even if you can get it updated. I'm happy to work with you on that issue, separately, but your'e paying for my time as a tv tech to diagnose and address the issue. If the tv was brought in to a shop for this, they wouldn't even bother with the firmware. If you wish to continue, let me know, otherwise I can close out the question for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I suppose I would want a local tech if it turns out to be hardware. Is there some reason I wouldn't? Can you close out this question without charging me the full $28?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is a very good reason you wouldn't want to. I'm happy to get into it further with you in detail if you wish to continue. If I close the question, then our conversation ends. The site still charged you the full price (they just don't pay me anything for my time up until now), which they'd apply to a future question, or you can contact site customer service to request a refund.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, well I guess we should close it out. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Good luck to you.Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Good luck to you.Nathan