Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

On my 52 inch Sony LCD TV the picture only fills about 80%

Customer Question

On my 52 inch Sony LCD TV the picture only fills about 80% of the screen. I have used the "wide" button on the Sony remote but although it shows various screen sizes it does not let me expand screen size to fill the entire screen. I also have a blue line on the left side of the screen that extends from top to bottom which does not appear on all programs.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;
Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?
Do you have other equipment like a dvd,bluray,games etc. connected to this tv ?
If so , did you notice this problem no matter what equipment is playing on tv ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cable box
no dvd or bluray
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok then I don`t have your TV's model number but usually the tv should be set to 16:9 /normal/full , if you have any of those set it there and then look on the cable box remote for a button that may be called something like ; zoom, size, format, aspect , HDzoom etc. , often has a pound (#) symbol on it or a star and sits below the digits 7 or 9 , try to press that button repeatedly to toggle between the different aspect ratio`s. Between the 2 remotes (tv and cable box)you should be able to find the correct aspect ratio /format.Let me know how that goes and if that does not do it then here is something for you to try ;Pull the cable box`s power cord off the wall outlet (cable box only) for a minute.In the mean time turn off the tv and turn it back on only after you plug back the cable box power cord.Note that it may take a couple of minutes for the cable box to reboot after you plug it back ,just give it time.Either of those procedure should it and if by some odd chance it does not then please let me have the tv`s model number then the cable box name/model and your cable service supplier`s name . If that answers your question please do not forget to rate or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions , thank you .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jack: No luck. Thank you for all your help. Best, George
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Did you see what I wrote above ?Pull the cable box`s power cord off the wall outlet (cable box only) for a minute.In the mean time turn off the tv and turn it back on only after you plug back the cable box power cord.Note that it may take a couple of minutes for the cable box to reboot after you plug it back ,just give it time.Either of those procedure should it and if by some odd chance it does not then please let me have the tv`s model number then the cable box name/model and your cable service supplier`s name .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jack: This beyond me. I will call a TV repair person to come to the house and take care of this. Thank you again. Best, George
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok then good luck and let me know if you have questions on this but I don`t think this is a tv problem .
Open the TV's menu , is the picture shrunk there ?
Of course trying another piece of equipment would be the way to test this !