Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Won't come on after power outage.

Customer Question

Won't come on after power outage.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
To aid in the diagnostic process, please answer the following for me:
1) Any signs of life at all from the tv?
2) Solid or flashing power/status light (any pattern if flashing)?
3) Full model number of the tv?
4) Any normal tv audio, or other sounds (buzzing, humming, clicking, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why can't I get an answer?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I asked you for additional details pertinent to the problem you are having.I cannot provide an accurate assessment without this information. If you would please respond back with the requested detail, I can then provide an answer.Thank you,Nathan Resending my prior request: Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. To aid in the diagnostic process, please answer the following for me: 1) Any signs of life at all from the tv? 2) Solid or flashing power/status light (any pattern if flashing)? 3) Full model number of the tv? 4) Any normal tv audio, or other sounds (buzzing, humming, clicking, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lights, no humming, no nothing. It is a 50 inch Panasonic. I don't know where to get the serial number or model number.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update.I don't need the serial, but I would need the full model number, please.This is printed on a sticker on the back of the tv. An example would be TC-P50ST60 Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TBM2AU0961
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That is not a valid model number, it looks more like a serial or manufacturing code.It would be in the format I mentioned earlier, such as TC-P50ST60 for example.It will have a few letters, followed by 50, then a few more letters and numbers normally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TCP50X5
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Perfect, that is what I needed, thank you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). Since you have no signs of life from it at all, you almost certainly have a fried power supply board, at a minimum.This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv of this size, replacement often makes more sense though, especially in cases of surge damage where multiple parts may be damaged, which drives the parts cost up significantly. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.