Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I want to use a Haier model 40D3505 as a monitor desktop

Customer Question

I want to use a Haier model 40D3505 as a monitor for a desktop computer. I tried hooking a VGA cable up, but it doesn't recognize it. There is currently no remote, and when I use the button on the side of the Haier to switch input, it doesn't hold. How do I get this done? Should I disconnect the coaxial cable from the TV? It is currently uplugged from an outlet.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Is the VGA cable test and confirmed?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is a good cable.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, please turn On desktop computer then turn On TV and select PC input by pressing Input button on TV side panel and check if TV display computer screen/ image?
Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no PC input. The input list is as follows: HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3, Composite, Component, VGA, USB. No matter what is pressed, a No Signal box appears with 2-2 NWCN at the upper right corner of the display.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, VGA or PC input is the same but verbiage is different.
- Is it possible to connect another monitor to PC with the same VGA cable to make sure PC is working?
- If other monitor shows normal screen then reduce the video display resolution of PC at lowest level (such as 800 X 600) then connect it to Haier TV?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the VGA cable off of a working monitor and left the other end on the PC that is currently running. I lowered the resolution on the PC to 800X600, then reconnected it. Same result - the TV does not see the VGA input.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
This is odd, VGA Input is in fact utilized simplest circuitry in TV instead of other inputs such composite, component or HDMI etc.
Last thing that we can try to unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 5 minutes to reset, replug back in, turn the TV On and push Input button repeatedly to get VGA input on screen.
If problem still persist then I would think about hardware related issue on main board of TV as we have already tried possible solutions for any wrong setting/ software related in TV and main board replacement will be needed to resolve the problem.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't work. No change.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear that, it seems hardware failure of VGA input circuitry and entire main board of TV will need to be replaced to get VGA input working or you may please use any other computer such as laptop in HDMI input of TV to use it as monitor.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.