Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

We have cyber power surge protector hooked to tv and various

Customer Question

We have cyber power surge protector hooked to tv and various other devices. Last night during a storm, the tv turned off and after trying to turn power strip off and then on, still won't come on. What should I do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Is the tv the only thing that won't turn on? Or do other devices (cable/sat box, dvd, etc) have the same issue?If you bypass the surge protector, and go direct to the wall outlet, do devices work that way?What is the full make/model of the tv?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV is only device not working. Still didn't work after plugging into wall. Red light is on showing electricity is on. It is an insignia 50" mid l # ***** Rev A
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). This would be consistent with the storm you experienced, and despite being connected to a surge protector, there are often other ways for high voltage energy to enter, such as through the coax, phone, or ethernet lines, which are not always protected - some surge protectors simply aren't able to clamp down quickly enough or the voltage level is too high and just passes through.This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand ,as insignia tvs tend to be made with the lowest quality components and are typically very short lived, which is why they are generally so inexpensive to begin with. This also makes them more susceptible to being damaged by surges. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv of this brand/type though, replacement will often make more sense. You can get a brand new and upgraded LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $600 range for this size. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the bad news,Nathan