Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

We can't hear youtube, netflix, etc thru our receiver surround

Customer Question

We can't hear youtube, netflix, etc thru our receiver surround sound only thru the tv speakers
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you please tell me HOW everything is currently connected?What surround system are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The receiver is pioneer
Currently our tv audio goes thru the receiver and we hear it thru the surround sound
When we go into youtube for instance the sound only comes out of the TV speaker and we can hear whatever is on the regular tv at the same time in the surround sound
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I need to know the full model number of the pioneer, and the specific cord/connection used from the tv to the pioneer please. As an initial step, check a few settings too: Go into the samsung setup menu, under audio, and turn off the internal speakers, and/or set speakers to external/theater. Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached 2 pics to give toy an idea of the wiring. ... it also shows the model number
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I'm seeing what looks like only hdmi (monitor out) from the pioneer to the samsung, is that correct? Did this ever work previously, or is it your first time trying to set it up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and yes first time
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay there are a few settings you'd need to adjust here.First you have to go into the tv and enable hdmi control (also called anynet), and do so on the pioneer as well. Then audio on the tv needs to be set to external/theater, and the pioneer needs to be set to the TV input mode. Note that this is using the hdmi audio return channel feature. It is meant to send audio back from the tv to the pioneer. You must have a 1.4 rated (latest version) hdmi cable for that to work, and even then in many cases it does not function properly between devices of differing brands. If this doesn't work, the next step would be to add another cord, meaning to connect an optical fiber-optic cable from the tv back to the pioneer for sound instead.Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I enable him I control on the pioneer?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
System Setup, Hdmi Setup, Control = On + ARC=ON
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but where is system setup for pioneer
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Use the pioneer remote, press the menu/setup button, then navigate via the on screen indicators from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but i do not see a menu/setup button on the pioneer remote see the attached pic
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
It's there, just above the pause button, middle left. Picture of a house, below it says home menu / setup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok found it... when we push it you can see the eye on the tv light up but nothing happens
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Don't you see anything on the front panel of the amp?You should also see the pioneer on screen setup menu on the tv, if properly connected an don the right input.