Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a samsung smart tv, and direct tv. It's been working

Customer Question

I have a samsung smart tv, and direct tv. It's been working fine, but this morning when I turn everything on, I can hear my direct tv station, but it won't show on the tv. If I turn the tv on, we can see netflix etc, but cant see the direct tv stations.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;
Can you see the TV's own menu ?
What type of cables /connection do you have between the direct tv box and tv ?
Is it HDMI or color coded component cables ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, I can see tv's own menu,
HDMI
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok and when you say that you can hear the sound , that is through the tv , is that correct ?Not through a surround system for example
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok then try this ;Pull the cable box`s power cord off the wall outlet (cable box only) for a minute.In the mean time turn off the tv and turn it back on only after you plug back the cable box power cord.Note that it may take a couple of minutes for the cable box to reboot after you plug it back ,just give it time but in the mean time watch the screen to see if there is any action there. Let me know how that goes
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry , meant direct tv box but same thing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
didn't work
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok then do you have anything connected or that you could connect temporarily to that HDMI cable , for example a DVD ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well, yes, i can move a dvd player from another tv.
but access to back of tv is difficult, it's mounted above our fireplace
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok then in that case perhaps another tv where you could try the direct tv box ?You need to be able to either test the tv with something else or that box with another tv to confirm either the tv or diect tv box as the culprit.Right now I suspect the box is the problem.Could you also give me the tv`s full model number ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
un60h7150afxza 1080p
is that the model # ? It's on my receipt, can't see the back of tv for any other #
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
That number will doHow about trying that box on another tv , is that possible ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
moved the box to another tv, and works fine
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok then and in the mean time I did look at your tv`s manual to see if there was any functions like "audio only" , some tv do but not the case for your tv .Try another HDMI input and if it is still the same then for a test you could try to connect it temporarily with color coded red/white/yellow cables to see if anything goes through ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
chnaged input's no change
tried the color coded instead of hdmi, no change
do you think this is a direct tv service call, or the company that set up the system? (tv mounted above fireplace, hard wired into wall and to a console at back of room)
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry , had to step out for a bit .Right now I`m afraid that I`m starting to think that the tv is in trouble if that box works fine on another tv and even the composite (color coded) input does not work .You could verify that with another piece of equipment but I can`t see why that box would work fine elsewhere but not on this tv.Conclusion out of this is that the TV's main board went defective.Try to pull out the TV's power cord for a few minutes (5) and try it again but I do not expect much out of this.If that does not do it then as the last ditch attempt and since your tv is somewhat functional, call Samsung at this number 1-800-SAMSUNG (726-7864) and ask for " remote support"But first take a look at the link below ;https://www.dropbox.com/s/ys8wu6quo4rcn0f/2015-05-31_1333.png?dl=0If that answers your question please do not forget to rate or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions , thank you .