Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My plasma TV has a failure after 5 years now. It's a

Customer Question

Hello. My plasma TV has a failure after 5 years now. It's a Samsung S42AX-YD01. What I see is some kind of red sparkling in the center of the right half of the display. This pattern appears every second. The display/electronics makes a pulsing noise then. I checked the voltages. All OK. I found two service manuals for Philips plasma which are very similar, but the display error does not match to any 'abnormal display failure'. The logic main shows a blinking green LED which should be OK. Which board usually causes this failure: Ymain, Xmain or buffers? Or which boards definitely do not cause this kind of failure? I already replaced the Ymain with a used board, but without success.
Thanks in advance,
Stephan
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thanks for your question! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help!

Stephan, please post a picture of the screen so I can see for myself. A video would be even better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hm, that really doesn't show much. Can you stand back and get a picture of the whole screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Stephan,

With the TV on, are the heat sinks on the Ymain and Zmain getting hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

thanks for the support.

I checked this again and both sinks are cold after 5 minutes on. Only 2 small sinks on the y-buffers get warm. I checked all fuses and the the electrolytics look ok. I should mention that the picture with the red dots appears every second for a short time. So I took 20 pictures to capture this.

Stephan

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Stephan,

Zmain and Ymain are cold???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Cold. For sure. Maybe the problem is the logic-main. But the green LED2010 is on and the LED2011 is blinking. According to the service manual this means the board is ok.

Any ideas?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It's unlikely that the problem is the logic, especially if the LED is flashing. I would remove the Y-buffers one at a time, trying to power on the TV after removing each one. Be sure to remove them completely from the TV and set them aside on a table.

If the upper or lower Y-buffer don't change anything, do the same for the E and F-buffers along the bottom and/or top edge of the TV... not sure if your chassis has them or not... don't have the service manual in front of me, but if you do... remove them just as you did the Y-buffers.

Let me know.

Let

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

these are my test results so far.

- removed upper Y-buffer:

a few pulsating dots in the lower half of the screen

- removed lower Y-buffer:

no more pulsating, just grey horizontal stripes in the upper half

I didn't remove the lower E and F-buffers yet, because of the many sensitive flat-cables. Can it be, that just single defective Y-buffer causes the whole panel to fail?

Stephan