Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

Sony HDTV 1080 has a constant glare appearance and appears

Customer Question

Sony HDTV 1080 has a constant glare appearance and appears dark most of the time.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am an independent tech connected to you via this pay for assistance website service. Your satisfaction is my top priority and in return your positive rating is the only way I will receive credit for my time. To get started we need more information (additional details may be required):
1. How long have you had the Tv?
2. How long has this problem been happening?
3. Have any parts been replaced or work been done? what? when?
REPLY to continue (do not start a new question).
ps: Please refresh this page often if you don't see my reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approx. 7 years old. Replaced LCD lamp 5 years ago.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
As you know, your Tv uses a high power lamp to project the picture onto the screen. The lamp is designed to run for about 6000hrs so it is completely normal to need a new lamp every 3-5 years. Your first step needs to be replacing the lamp. Be sure you do not buy a discount lamp from amazon or ebay or other cheap sellers. Only buy from a seller that states they have a full one year warranty like the one below:
http://www.dlplampsource.com/xl-5200-television-replacement-lamp.html
One other part of regular service on projection Tv's is cleaning the lens. Getting to the lens for cleaning is the hard part. If you are interested in attempting this then REPLY back and I will be happy to help. Just be aware it can get very involved and I would recommend a local authorized repair shop perform the cleaning.
If you notice that the picture is the wrong color, like large areas of greenish or bluish or reddish picture then that can be signs of something much more serious.
Before you go any further, please be sure to take a moment right now to click the positive rating so that I get credit for helping you today. Doing so does not finish or close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly depends on your positive rating because I do not get paid hourly here.
Please do not click bad-poor rating if you are unhappy with your product. Doing that blames me for your problem, destroys my standing here as a professional, and does not issue you a refund. Instead contact customer service or REPLY back here.
Thank you,