Dan, Broadcast Engineer
Experience:  I am a member of The Society of Broadcast Engineers for a local CBS station
1567601

I have a brand new Toshiba VCR/DVD just out of the box. It

Customer Question

I have a brand new Toshiba VCR/DVD just out of the box. It played a few of my VCR cartridges but now it keeps turning itself off and ejecting the tape with the tape hanging out of the cartridge. I have only played about 5 tapes and now it dosn't work
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, I would be happy to help you today. Did you purchase this from a local store?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If this is brand new, then I would suggest you return it for an exchange. There is nothing you did to cause this, and would be considered a moderate repair that would need to be done by a professional.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased this unit more than 18 months ago it has been sitting in a box in my office and just recently I decided to open start using it because I have a lot of old tapes I wanted to convert to disk. So there is no warranty available on this unit
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You can remove the top to see if there is anything obvious that might be blocking the tape path, but this sounds more like a drive motor problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem seems to be in the mechanism that transports the tape. It was working fine and then all of a sudden the new tapes I put in keep getting rejected in the tape comes out of the cartridge. The motor seem to be working fine as far as fast-forward and rewind and when I was playing that didn't seem to be any glitch in the motors at all.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The motors that fast forward and rewind are different than the play motor. There is a mechanism in some machines called the drive idler that is located between the two tape reels when the tape is in place. If that drive wheel is made of rubber, you can clean it and it should work again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can clean the drive will rubber but would that be what's causing the tape to get stuck in the machine. I had a very similar problem with my old unit I had sent it in for repair and they said it was unrepairable but it was an older unit. I can clean the robber but this is a brand-new unit it's only had less than six tapes run through it and then only for a brief time. It seems to be it needs an adjustment in the tape transport mechanism somewhere. Does this make sense?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The rubber wheel will dry out and lose its grip over time. Just setting unused makes no difference. If the wheel is slipping, it will pull the tape out unevenly until the sensors detect it and stop the play and eject the tape. You will need to use what is call rubber revitalizer to make the wheel grip again. Most of the time that requires the drive mechanism be disassembled to properly take care of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is used for a rubber revitalizing. I'll be more than happy to try that and see if I can determine what's happening it does make sense that if the tape isn't being transported properly it would cause the glitch. Willow work just cleaning it with alcohol
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Follow this LINK and you can see what I am talking about. Alcohol can clean it, then follow up with the rubber treatment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dan I see it can be purchased at Amazon so I'll try that. Is that the only suggestion you have as far as what the problem is?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Probably the only thing I would want you to try, otherwise if you go too far, you may get into trouble??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dan, I'll try that and if it doesn't work I'll have to find a local repair facility see if I can get it taken care of. Have a good evening.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Apply the rubber treatment with a Q-tip let it set for a few minutes and wipe off with alcohol.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Good luck, and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.