Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Purchased a soniq tv 18 months ago and it continues to say

Customer Question

purchased a soniq tv 18 months ago and it continues to say no signal. have tried it in other areas of house with signal. have gone through everything on the remote but still no signal. can you tell me how to set it up again as have lost my book
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. What source are you using with the tv? Aerial, cable, satellite, dvd, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
aerial
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you send me set up book for soniq as something is wrong
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Is it an actual aerial indoor, that you are moving from room to room?Or is it an outdoor antenna with wiring shared by all rooms?Are you saying that it is working in some rooms, but not in others? (on the soniqu, not on other tvs)
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You can download the manual here: http://bit.ly/1ECdX7Q
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is working on other tvs so I bought it inside and connected it to an outlet from tv which works and same thing happens. it works on all other tvs but not my soniq. could it be my remote control
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you just send me installation information please as nothing I do seems to work
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Not likely, no.If you go into the setup menu on the tv, and set it to air/antenna (not cable) mode, and retune (auto scan / auto program) with still no results, that means the tv itself is faulty. Specifically, it would me that the internal astc tuner (digital tv tuner) component has failed. These soniq tvs are very poorly made, from the lowest quality materials, so this type of hardware failure is very common with them. I sent you a copy of the manual. Here it is again: http://bit.ly/1ECdX7QTry the retune step, if that doesn't help, I'll advise further on options. Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have done the retune and it scans all and no channels come up
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, that really leaves only the possibility of a faulty tuner card inside the tv. That can be fixed, but it is not practical to do so. The tuner is a component of the tvs "main" or control board. You would have to replace that entire board to resolve this. The cost to have a main board replaced (parts and labor to have a tech out to your home) will be in the $300 range, more than you'd pay to buy a brand new tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand.A better, and much less costly option, would be to supplement the tv with an external tuner instead. Example: http://bit.ly/1ECfhHY
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I go into retune as have tried before and it scans everything and keeps saying no connection
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Your'e already doing it. Scanning is the same as retuning. If nothing is found, that can only mean that the tuner inside is faulty and not detecting the antenna signal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the set up menu on my hand piece will not work. so if the tuner is faulty does that mean my tv or handpiece
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do get tuner inside fixed or do I purchase another tv
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
The tv itself, not the handpiece/remote. You should still have onboard buttons on the tv itself you can use to navigate the menu as well though. If the tv is saying "scanning" on screen, then it is searching for signal, and finding none, pointing back to a tuner fault.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I would not even attempt to have the tuner fixed, it is simply not worth the investment for a tv of this brand and size. Your money is better spent on either an external tuner or a new tv.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well thanks for your help. there is no buttons on tv so I think I will have to buy another one
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Are any buttons on the remote control working? If none of them are (power, volume, etc), then you may just have bad batteries or a bad remote.If other things work, but setup/tune won't, that is a hardware problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
volume works and power works and can go through menu and source but nothing happens. could it be locked andhave no idea of password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the set up button does not come up on tv
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
No, a lock function would only lock out shows/channels of certain ratings (vchip), it would not prevent a channel scan from taking place.If you can access power and volume, and can change inputs (source) then you could successfully hook up an external tuner box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks im off to get another tv as have no idea about external tuner box and if that doesn't work have lost more money
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Well a tuner is $30-40, and could always be returned if it doesn't help.A new tv is $200-300. I'd try a tuner first, but that is just my opinion. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks a lot will go and geta tuner box and see if that helps. gave you 5 stars thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I sent you a link to one from dick smith, but you can find one at any shop that sells tvs. It may be called either a tuner, set top box, or converter box. Best of luck,Nathan