Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

The audio from my elite-vsx-91txh-av-receiver is very poor

Customer Question

The audio from my elite-vsx-91txh-av-receiver is very poor in the early evening when I turn it on. The "voice" speakers right under the TV are tinny and almost inaudible and the music and bass noises are loud and garbled- no matter what audio setting I use. Around 9 PM every evening the sound self corrects and works fine.
I have the same Pioneer system in my mancave downstairs hooked to a projector TV and it works fine. That said could this be a throughput issue from my Comcast cable provider or an interference issue?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Does this problem happen ONLY on the comcast box? Or if you use it with dvd, netflix, etc does it come up as well?Is there a comcast box in the mancave too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happens with all devices. Apple TV, dvd etc
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Is everything in the main room connected directly to the pioneer via hdmi, then a single hdmi from pioneer to tv?Or does everything route into the tv first via hdmi, then some other connection (hdmi, optical, etc) from tv to pioneer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything routes through the Pioneer
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, if it happens on all sources, including dvd (disc playback) then this wouldn't be a comcast issue, it would tend to indicate an internal intermittent hardware fault in the pioneer.Are there any external factors you can tell me about here? Sometimes we see odd issues as a result of overheating. For example if you have a thermostat program there the room temp gets lower around 9pm, that may explain part of this.Are there any other timed events during the early evening, such as pool pumps running nearby, other motors, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes there are pool pumps but they turn off in the evening around 11 PM. That said we live in Boston and it has been unseasonably warm- high 80s. Today it was cooler, temps in the 70s, and the sound worked in the morning, did not work At noon but has was working all evening from 6 PM. So could this be a temperature issue? In three years, three summers I had had no such issues before.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Could certainly be a temp issue, yes.I live in the desert, so it would make sense here when the air kicks on for cooler sleeping temps at night. For you, you may have the same thing where the heat cuts out later at night to save energy.This may not be strictly a thermal issue from room temp though. As a starting point, pull the pioneer out and vacuum all the vents off thoroughly, then blow it out well with compressed air, and vac again. If it is on a shelf or enclosed cabinet, try to locate it so as to have as much airflow as possible. If that seems to help, but isn't quite 100%, you can always add an external cooling fan to it to help it stay at the better operational temperatures (under 80 is ideal). Setting one of these: http://amzn.to/1FkRaPson top of the pioneer will do wonders to pull fresh cool air in from underneath and up through the power supply. I put one of these with every home theater system and receiver I install, whether it is inside a cabinet/closet or open space. If the problem still continues, let me know, and I'll advise on some further options. Nathan