Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I've had my sony tv unplugged days now I can't

Customer Question

I've had my sony tv unplugged for several days now I can't update it cause it stays on channel 2 when it needs to be on 73. Help
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems, I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info.
1) What's the full model number off of the back of the TV?
2) What is it you're trying to "update"?
3) How do you receive broadcasts on the set (SAT/Cable box), and how is it you came upon the information that you need to be on channel 73 please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have dish but box is in living room, channel needs to be on 73 to upload channels. Model is KDL 32M3000
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
What exactly do you see on the TV screen right now?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Also, if the TV has been unplugged for days, then the Input likely needs to be changed. You're going to need the original Sony remote or the buttons on the TV for that. But I need to know what the screen shows right now to determine what Input it's currently on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Channel 2 in right corner and no signal in left
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the Sony remote nearby?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Does anything at all happen if you press channel up, or channel down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Meaning it stays on the channel it's on- right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes of course
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You'd be surprised what we see. Now if you grab the DISH remote and press channel up or down- what do you see then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I could get it on channel 73 it will work
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Bear with me. I understand that and I've been doing this for many years. The answers to the questions I am asking you allow me to determine WHAT needs to be done. Please answer the questions I am asking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing, it changes channel in living room
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hang tight, I'm checking the TV's tuner.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Briefly check the back of the TV and let me know if a "coaxial cable" is the ONLY cable that connects to the set from the DISH box, or if you have another type of cable there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes only one
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Elaborate please- is it a "coaxial cable" or an "HDMI cable"?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Coaxial screws onto the back of the TV and HDMI is a rectangular connector that plugs in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is only one cable plugged in to tv, nothing has changed. I had new carpet put down
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
That has nothing to do with what I am asking. The type of cable tells me what needs to be done next. Please answer the questions, please do not assume the reason for my asking them.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Is it a "coaxial cable" or an "HDMI cable"? Coaxial screws onto the back of the TV and HDMI is a rectangular connector that plugs in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can not help me so forget it. Sorry that I bothered you. I'm not paying for nothing..
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I would suggest reading the following carefully, following the instructions, then considering if I cannot help you. If it is HDMI, use the TV/Video button on the Sony remote to select HDMI. However if it is coaxial, we need to go into the Sony MENU, then select "Channel", then select "Cable OFF", then go to "Channel Scan". Before executing the channel scan, you must unplug the DISH box from power for 10 seconds, plug it back in, then wait for it to bootup. Once it boots up, press "OK/ENTER" to run the Channel scan. The TV will then pickup channel 73 and you'll have your DISH signal back. The reason for all of these steps is the TV forgot it's programming.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If the TV did not forget it's programming- then you'd have picture already and would not have to go through these steps. The devil is in the details- the questions I ask confirm which details need to be executed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing at all. It will not let me change to 73
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Did you run the channel scan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes nothing happened. It needs to be on channel 73
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I realize it needs to be on channel 73. The channel scan should have picked up channel 73 if all of the steps were followed as I described them. I will opt out and open the question to other experts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I knew it was a waste of time and money
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was charged and you didn't help me.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Read the Terms of Service- it clearly states the site holds your deposit and the expert is not credited. I am not a site employee- I don't hold your money or have any dealings with billing. You would go to the home page and contact customer service to obtain a refund of your deposit. This is all outlined on the home page if you click on and view the TOS. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What happened to 100 percent happy???
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You would go to the home page and contact customer service to obtain a refund of your deposit. This is all outlined on the home page if you click on and view the TOS. Thank you.
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/9485x-i-ve-sony-tv-unplugged-days-can-t.html#ixzz3bTtVHx91