Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Vizio Repir , my TV will on occasion turn dark several times

Customer Question

Vizio Repir ,
my TV will on occasion turn dark several times a day. for about 4 minutrs then brighten to a good picture. What part do I need to repair or replace? Vizio Model is MT470VT
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info.
1) Do you mean the screen simply gets darker- or it goes completely black?
2) Does this issue happen with all sources (cable box, DVD, etc.)?
3) When the screen goes dark, if you pull up MENU (using the original Vizio remote), does the MENU also look dark?
Please elaborate with as much detail as possible and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. the screen simply gets darker where you can barely see it for about 4 minutes and will return
2. screen goes dark with any resource
3.screen remains dark even when menu was pressed
to being bright3. screen remains dark even when menu is pressed
.
2. this issue happens with all sources cable DVD etc.
3
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. The darkening is caused by the backlight circuit which powers the lighting in the LED/LCD panel itself. This circuit is part of the power supply/LED driver board and this is the board you would need to replace to fix the issue. It is available at the link below for purchase and is a plug nad play part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it: http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-adtv9s88gabu-power-supply-unit.htm Shop Jimmy is showing as currently out of stock, but you can have them e-mail notify you once the board becomes available. If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go. You can follow up as needed at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You can also use that part number and scour Ebay for a used/pulled replacement as well.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the information I'll try to find the part
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go. You can follow up as needed at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything you would like help with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have a 510 area code which is local to me are you around Oakland Berkeley California area?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm in Massachusetts. You can try using the link below to locate a local tech though: www.tvrepairpros.com Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go. You can follow up as needed at no additional cost.