Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a sony Bravia TV and since there were lots of electrical

Customer Question

hI, I have a sony Bravia TV and since there were lots of electrical storms I think there was a power surge that has affected the supply. It randomly and erratically switches itself off for a few seconds only and comes back on again by itself. Sometimes I can watch it for 20 mins without interruption and sometimes it happens every single minute making it totally unwatchable. The quotes I am getting are for just under half the price of the TV itself, which I simply can't afford as a single mum. The TV is only about 2 years old. I am quite handy with screwdrivers and technology. Is there anyway I can perhaps purchase a particular part that you could recommend I try and explain to me how to replace it so I can have a go myself? Thanks for your help Kind regards Tricia
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tricia, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number off of your Sony TV?
It would be like KDL-xxxx or some thing similar.
This info will help to troubleshoot the problem.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

KDL 42W800A

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for TV model info.
This kind of problem occurs due to failing main board where main processor chip got internal failure due to lighting storm static charge and replacement of main board in TV will help to resolve the problem.
Please remove the screws around the back panel of TV and take off the back cover of TV to access inside and find the part number written on label pasted on main board of TV (main board is one that have all video input jacks) and search/google it to get price info to order it.
Replacement of main board would not be difficult for a handy person it is matter of few plugs and no soldering work is needed. After main board replacement you would need to update TV firmware which is available at following Sony link under latest downloads tag..
http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-42w800a
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I need to go offline now and will reply your any further question after few hours.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

System Software Update (Version PKG4.510GAA) For Asia Pacific

The above is the only download I can find for this TV under the download tab. This looks like an update only, not the whole system firmware, is this all I need?

Also the main board model no: PSLF151601A does not seem to be made anymore and there are none available for sale online. Can I use a different mainboard with this model TV?

Thanks

Kind regards

Tricia

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
System Software Update (Version PKG4.510GAA) For Asia Pacific is complete software/firmware and will work after swapping the main board.
Please find a part number sticker/ label on main board and number would be like A-xxx-xxx-xx or 1-xxx-xxx-xx or some thing similar OR if possible take a good picture of main board of TV and attach it here so I can view it to find out part number on it.
Thanks.