Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I'm trying to watch a home video on my computer on my

Customer Question

Hi. I'm trying to watch a home video on my computer on my TV screen.
I have WOW Ultra TV
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Mike is unavailable now, but I will be glad to help you. I need to ask for more information however.
1) What's the model number off of the back of the Sharp TV?
2) Which HDMI port are you plugged into?
3) What is the other end of this cable please- or better yet, can you post the Brand and Model, or a link to this particular cable you are using?
4) What do you see on your TV screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I send all of the answers through the other page; did you get them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*sent
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what "other page" you mean, but it's not showing here. Are you saying you have another question open already?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Sharp Model is: LC 32SB21U
One end of the cable is a square and has a picture of a TV on it. The other end is an HDMI end. It's normally used to transfer info from my computer to an external hard drive. The port on my computer has a lightening bolt next to it.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Offhand I'm still questioning the cable- since if you use it to transfer info to a hard drive- it would not have an HDMI end on it, but rather a USB end. Is there any way you can post a link to the cable, or a brand an model? Are you 100% certain it's HDMI and not USB? What is the specific port labeled on the TV that it is plugged into? I also need to know what exactly you see on your screen.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me? I can help you solve this, but I need more info on that cable. If you used it to transfer info to an external drive- then it's not an HDMI cable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 100% that it's an HDMI.
HDMI port 2. It's the same port I use for our cable box, so, I know it works.
I see nothing but black.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Do you have the TV set to HDMI 2 right now? Also, is this the cable you are using? http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-DisplayPort-MiniDP-Adapter-MacBook/dp/B007RQ3J7G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432689227&sr=8-3&keywords=macbook+air+monitor+cable
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the video input is correct on the TV. Yes, the cable is black, but that's the cable I'm using.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, well unfortunately there's no other settings that need to be adjusted and if you don't see an image- then that cable isn't working as it should, which isn't uncommon with HDMI adapter cables. The protocol to get the MacAir to display on an external monitor is simply: Connect the cable, select the TV Input- view the Macbook on the display. Since you know the TV's HDMI port works (which you verified by stating your cable box works just fine there), and there are no settings in the Mac or TV to adjust to make this work, this leaves the cable as the culprit and I would suggest purchasing another cable, and sending this one back if you are able.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Upon viewing the info from Mac on this, you're actually supposed to be using a VGA adapter- which is the APple Branded product guaranteed to work with the Mac. The TV supports this connection as well- it's called RGB (which is VGA). So what you would do instead is purchase the adapter below, and set the TV to the PC Input: http://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-display-Adapter-Converter-Macbook/dp/B00HYV0CRY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1432689227&sr=8-7&keywords=macbook+air+monitor+cable If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No...I don't know what else to try. The cable still works with the external hard drive, so, I'm not sure what else to do. I'll call Apple & WOW tomorrow and see if they have any other suggestions maybe wirelessly. It just shouldn't be this difficult and now my son is in bed and I needed it for him tonight.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I understand. I still have never seen an external hard drive that uses HDMI- since that transmits picture and sound- not data. However I do see that Apple specifically calls for the VGA adapter for the Mac- and there isn't an Apple Product that is HDMI for connection to a TV. There are other brands that make the cable, but the Mac Air shows the VGA unit. Unfortunately the one you have isn't working- and you have done/set everything correct in order for it to work- if it was going to. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.