Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a SONY KV40XBR700 That turns off or shuts down by itself.

Customer Question

I have a SONY KV40XBR700 That turns off or shuts down by itself. When I re-hit the Power button, a Red Light flashes 11 times before the TV comes back on. There is no Green light. I have to go through this cycle every 2-3 Minutes. I have made sure both the TV plug and wall outlet plug are secure. Then unlugged the TV from the wall and unplugged all accessories from surge Protector for 5 Minutes. TV was on for a few extra minutes then went off again. Can you please help assist?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help but I need to ask for more info. 1) How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur? 2) I'm unsure where you say, you have to go through this every 2-3 minutes- does that mean you eventually get the set to stay on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Owned since 2001 - Last 4-6 Months.
Yes the TV will stay on for 2-3 Minutes, sometimes 5-10 Minutes before turning off. Happens on all channels
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. When the TV shuts itself off, does the red light being blinking again? If so, are there any groups of blinks (for instance 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As stated earlier, there are 11 red light Blinks before TV will come on.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I saw that, but that isn't what I asked. I asked if the light blinked again when the TV "Shut Off" on it's own please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, 5-6 Red Blinks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I would need to know exactly how many- as this is an error code used by Sony to tell us what is wrong with the TV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the TV on now - I will have to wait a few minutes until the TV turns off again so I can be exact
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I understand. No problem, and simply reply back when you can. I am familiar with the set, and a 5, 6 or 7 blink code all mean different things, so I want to give you an accurate answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just went off with 4 Blinks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, did it just blink 4 and go out? Or repeat 4 blinks, pause, 4 blinks, pause, etc.?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Let's try a hard reset of the TV and see if it gives the same blink code. Disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Please reply back and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV just went off again
4 flashing the first time then a constant 5 Flashing lights keep following.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If you still have 4 blinks this indicates the following per the service manual: 15V not present from D board• IC5004 is faulty (D Board).
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
5 blinks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes,
First time 4, the a sequence of Blinks (Several times to follow)
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, unfortunately these are "Fault Codes"- so there's no settings or resets that will fix this problem . 5 binks is the most common code for this set- and it's a "White Balance" error. Per the service manual this is what it means: White Balance Failure 5 times 5:0 or 5:1 • Video OUT (IC9001-IC9003) is faulty (C Board). • No raster is generated. (not balanced) • CRT drive (IC201) is faulty (A Board). • CRT Cathode current detection • G2 is improperly adjusted (See Note 2). reference pulse output is small. In layman's terms, there are (3) IC's that need to be checked and/or replaced to fix this problem. Or the G2 needs to be adjusted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes,
First time 4, the a sequence of 5 Blinks
NOTE - TV is still flashing 5 blinks while off)
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I did see your response, and am replying back with that in mind. If you're looking to repair this yourself, you will need a Multi-Meter and soldering iron. You would start by testing the (3) IC's referenced above on the C and A boards for shorts, and then replace them as necessary. In this case the Service Manual is at the link below should you need it: http://www.audiolabga.com/pdf/KV40XBR700.pdf
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please scroll UP to see all of my replies. The set requires service, which is something you can do yourself if you have tools and experience working with electronics. If not, the average cost for this type of repair on your set is in the $250-$350 range- which includes testing, parts and labor. Given the age of the set, and the fact that a brand new 40" LCD can be purchased for the same price a repairing this one, I would personally consider putting that same money towards purchase of a new TV.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If you can solder and have a meter, the cost of the IC's is usually around $10 each, but it's the labor that's somewhat intensive. Let me know if you need further assistance.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.