Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Mike, We did everything you said. We replaced the fuse.

Customer Question

Hi Mike, We did everything you said. We replaced the fuse. We are still getting the 6 red lights and no picture since then. What now? Sonya
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
I am looking at service manual... gonna take some time. Six blinks is fixed 95% of the time with a thermal fuse....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We checked the bulb (new and old bulbs) with am omhmeter but there was no continuity.
Is it possible that the new bulb was bad? Are the bulbs from e-bay OK most of the time?
We bought the one from the link you listed.
My son tried to install the new on as is, but it did not work and when we looked at the casing there was
a little plastic nipple broken off, so we don't know if it broke off when my son tried to install it or
when it arrived in the mail. So we read on u tube that the off-brand casings often don't fit and that
we should put the new bulb in the old housing so that is what we did.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For the fuse, we followed the instructions on the U tube video link you recommended exactly.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
you cannot check a lamp using a meter but I do not suspect the lamp for 6 blinks... still checking documents for part numbers...
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
the next thing to replace is the GM board. see page 17 of service manual for location.
http://www.audiolabga.com/pdf/SONY-KDFE60A20.pdf
part number is ***** Can be purchased:
http://allprotvparts.com/index.php?id_product=4728&controller=product
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the chance that only this part is bad and that fuse and the bulb were still good?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
the lamp has nothing to do with 6 blinks.
95% of the time the fuse fixes 6 blinks.
The GM board failure is very rare.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So are the fuse and the GM board the only things that cause the 6 blinks or is there something else possible?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Those are the only things that I know of, yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you know if there is decreased reliability of on-OEM (not from Sony) parts on e bay?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
You can't get these parts from sony any more. They are all second hand or refurbished. Can only suggest you go with a seller that states in writing, they offer some kind of return or 90 day warranty.