Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My Mitsubishi Medallion HD 1080 WE-65819 tv won't turn on,

Customer Question

My Mitsubishi Medallion HD 1080 WE-65819 tv won't turn on, flashes code 2-3, what does that mean?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first about that model number , could it be WS instead of WE-65819 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, so sorry it is WS-65819
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok then this is an older (2002)rear projection tv with tubes and that code 23 points to a horizontal deflection problem/failure.
Not sure what you tried so far but try this ;
Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.
Although i do not expect much out of this procedure , it has to be done to confirm that this problem can be cleared or not with a reset.
If that does not do it then we are indeed looking at internal problems with the tv.
let me know how that goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, didn't work. I had already figured by the 2-3 code, that it was the horizontal deflection failure code. So now, what do we do next? How expensive might it be? Will we have to have a repairman fix it, or is it something we could do ourselves?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok then , as I said , I did not expect much out of that but it had to be tried.
Now about that code 23 and horizontal deflection failure , this could point to a number of things ;
The horizontal drive circuit could have failed , horizontal output and flyback ( high voltage transformer) , pincushion /deflection amp etc. etc.
Really this will require some serious troubleshooting and definitely not what I would call a do it yourself type of job unless you are the proud owner of a tv repair shop.
Another problem could be finding the parts for it due to its age , some parts are still available I`m sure but a very good suspect in this case could be the high voltage transformer for example and that could prove to be difficult to find.
Depending on the parts , I would say that you may be looking at $300+ to have this repaired at home.
If i may be frank , considering the age of the tv and the fact that you can get a new 60" plasma tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $600 or $700 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.
Still , If you go for the repair shop option then look at the links below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
Or this one;
http://www.tvrepairman.com
This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.
Wish i had better news and an easier solution for you today ,like some sort of reset but this is not the case i`m afraid .
Hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is rated if you have other questions.
Please note that from where i`m sitting there is just so much that i can do and if you are going to rate my answer below O.K service then please do not rate at all , just let me know.