Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

I was recently given a Sony Wega model KDF-50E2000 that doesn't

Customer Question

I was recently given a Sony Wega model KDF-50E2000 that doesn't come on. I replaced the projection bulb because I was told that was the problem. But it still won't come on. It blinks green when I hit the power switch, blinks green two more time then switches to 3 red blinks, pause, 3 more red blinks and keep repeating the red blink series of three. Any ideas?
Thanks, Alan
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem .
That 3 blinks code indicates that either the lamp is not seated properly and locked in or that the lamp door is open or not completely closed .
Unplug the TV's power cord then pull the lamp out and back in securely then re-install the door securely again.
Let me know how that goes and If that answers your question please do not forget to rate or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions , thank you and have a nice Memorial day weekend
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried your advice 2 times, but I'm still having exactly the same problem
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
OK then that door switch went defective.
This is very common , it seems that after a few years if you don`t open the door its fine but if you activate that switch by opening the door it fails.
If you look or feel around the door frame inside you will see or feel that switch and an easy fix beside replacing it it to simply cut the wires going to it and splice them together , problem solved.
LLet me see if I can show it to you from the manual .
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Look at the link below;https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqt9po8sisao736/2015-05-24_1646.png?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spliced the 2 wires together, but it is still doing the same thing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spliced the correct wires according to the photo on the link you sent
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
That is rather odd then and I`m going to opt out , perhaps another tech. in here will have an idea .
You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
Just stand by and someone should be with you shortly .
PS. Do not reply to this or it will be sent back to me instead of reposted.
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Anthony
I am a different tech
You do need to understand nothing else can cause 3 red blinks other than whats been said so you have bypassed the T1 switch however there is also a switch in the base of the lamp enclosure the T2 switch, before going that route when you replaced the lamp did you replace the lamp for the SAME issue?3 red blinks
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ordered the lamp online. I ordered a lamp that is compatible with my model
OK have you got the same symptoms with the old lamp OR did this symptom appear when you replaced the lamp?so did you have 3 red blinks with old lamp 3 red blinks with new?
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just plugged in the old lamp, and it is working
Yes the problem is the new lamp some lamps will not activate the lamp IN switch in the base of the lamp enclosure, its very important with projection sets that you fit an OEM lamp as copy ones are no use for many reasons that being one its a black market industry.
You can get an OEM lamp from www.dlplampsource.com replace with one from there and the set will fire up.
A copy lamp is made to very poor specs
Let me know if you need more info
A positive rating is appreciated thank you there will be a rating bar with this post thanks again
Regards
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked a few minutes with the old lamp, but now it's not working again, and it's giving the three red blinks
Where did you get the lamp from and for what price please?
Its logic to conclude if it works OK with old lamp and not or struggling with new that the new lamp is to blame here
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't remember the site, but it was about $35.00. The TV is working again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it's off again
No you must get the OEM lamp which will cost $100 more I'm afraid (about $130), send that new lamp back for refund
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to get another bulb, or do you think it's something else?
Yes sir you have to replace the lamp with an OEM and from a trusted source I use dlplampsource as they only sell genuine OEM lamps
Thank You
Anthony