Dan, Broadcast Engineer
Experience:  I am a member of The Society of Broadcast Engineers for a local CBS station
1567601

I am having a problem programing the channelsI have a42' flat

Customer Question

I am having a problem programing the channelsI have a42' flat model Z42PJ240, I went thru the auto-tuning method and at the end I get a message saying ca;t find valid channels.I have another tv the same make and model just diffent serial numbers when I turn it on in the upper left hand corner a message HDMI3 CABLE APPEAR But it doe;snt show that on the defaulted one just the HDMI3 what to do
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, I would be happy to help you today. Do you have some type of cable service connected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Remote Tech Support. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
send me an answer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how the cable box is connected to your TV please? Follow the cable from the box to the port of the TV and let me know what the label on that port.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cable is from the tv to the HDMI port on the cable box.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You should not need to auto tune the TV since you are controlling what channels you will be watching through the cable box. Make sure the cable box is powered on, then select the HDMI input using the TV remote control. There is most likely more than one HDMI input so you will need to check them all to fine the right one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tired HDMI HDMI2 HDMI3 and I still does"nt get any channels Iam 80 years old that is why I am so slow responding THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Can you describe the connections on the back of the cable box for me please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a little bkack box 4"X6" from DIRECT TV SERVICE from left to right POWER-HDMI-CABLE
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The connection from the Direct TV receiver to the TV is most likely correct. What you will need to do is check and adjust the video output settings of Direct TV. If you can tell me the model number of the receiver, I can try to walk you through the process.