Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I just purchased a Samsung Smart UHDTV.

Customer Question

I just purchased a Samsung Smart UHDTV. I have a HD cable box which plays through my DVD recorder/player. The Samsung has replaced a SONY TV. I connected my DVD recorder to the SONY by using an HDMI cable. I would like to connect the Samsung to the DVD player by way of the HDMI cable; however, when I tried to connect it, I received a message that the Samsung was not receiving a signal from the DVD player. I can connect the DVD player to the Samsung by using the red/white/yellow in the component connections in the back of the Samsung. Is there a way to use the HDMI cable from the DVD recorder directly into the Samsung just as I did with the SONY?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;
Basically you are saying that you get a "no signal " message on the tv screen ?
If so then make sure the dvd is in play and also double check the hdmi cable then press the source/input button repeatedly on the remote until you get to where the cable dvd is connected.
Another thing you mentioned here that I must say something about it.
If you are watching your HD cable box through the dvd player then I`m sorry to say but you are giving yourself the worse picture you could get with the equipment you have .
This is what I mean ;
While your dvd has a HDMI (HD) output , no matter what model or brand name it is , its input is SD (standard definition ) low resolution 480i input so you are creating a bottle neck here , you go from HD then to SD and then HD again.
Like this CABLE BOX (HD) >>> DVD INPUT (SD)>>>> DVD OUTPUT (HDMI SD ) >>> HD TV receiving a SD signal .
What you need to do is to also use the HDMI output on the cable box and connect it directly into the tv then just change input when you want to watch the dvd .
Believe me , you will get a 200% picture improvement.
I understand that you may already have all that but please humour me and try those again then let me know and we`ll try something else if that does not do it
Let me know how that goes with the dvd hookup and perhaps its model number if you cannot get it going ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have not solved my problem, but only made it more complicated. It seems that every time I try to communicate with you, this site wants to charge me again for your services. I am disappointed and dissatisfied.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear that
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out now and perhaps someone here may be able to help you with that .
You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
Just stand by and someone should be with you shortly .
PS. Do not reply to this or it will be sent back to me instead of reposted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears that I cannot connect the Smart TV to my DVD recorder via a HDMI connection....which I do not understand. My picture is excellent...that was not the issue...it was connecting the TV to my DVD recorder using the HDMI cable which I was able to do with the SONY TV. Please refund my $23.00..