Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Aquos Model 32033x. After being turned on day

Customer Question

I have a Aquos Model 32033x. After being turned on for a day or two, Text print was displayed on screen All attempts to remove this via the remote failed. I later checked another remote control. By utilising a similarly marked on the Sharp remote, the Texting was removed, from the screen. The TV was turned off. When it was turned on again, next day , it was not successful in turning on. At the moment the OPC yellow light is flashing, as is the red Power light. My question is =would I b e able to have the set repaired, or is it past UBD. B.C.Smallwood, Rothwell, Qld
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the tv. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 3+ year old model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, as this is about the point at which they start to degrade and have electronics failures. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.For a television of this size however, replacement will typically make more sense. You can get a brand new and updated LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $200-250 range these days. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.