Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

We have vizio tv mod. E470vle with this problem; when the remote

Customer Question

We have vizio tv mod. E470vle with this problem; when the remote sensor is plug in the signal goes out witha blue screen, with the sensor disconnected the set plays perfect manually, Replaced main board, sensor,ribbon,what else?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems.
With the remote sensor unplugged, are you able to use the controls on the TV itself to change Input, pull up MENU, etc.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. with the sensor connected it just goes to blue screen no audio or video. with tv on or off disconnect the sensor and you can use the tv with the on-board buttons. We replaced sensor and main board and still get the same operation.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Please locate the control board which has the manual controls for the TV (on board buttons), and disconnect that. Let me know if you can then use the remote with the sensor plugged in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the manual controls are built into the main board
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Ah okay gotcha. Sorry, I've got nothing on this one. I will need to opt out and open the question for other experts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay thanks for trying
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.
I've looked at the E470VLE manual,
Any chance you can get a close up picture of the TV's connector that you're plugging into, and post that picture here or on IMGUR and copy that URL here?
Here's why --

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thats the right mod.no. to repeat: works normal with remote sensor disconnected . With remote sensor plugged in no pix or audio
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are not speaking of an external component. The IR receiver is what comes in the unit, to sense when you point the remote and press a button.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.
Ok, logically...there's several main boards and possibly several remote recievers and a possible mismatch is occurring. Vizio parts are ordered using the TV's serial number. I do know there's 2 main boards -

I think the main board is correct, but the remote receiver board's wiring may be different than the original remote receiver. That would be the only reason it's behaving the way it is.
You had this specific problem before you even started replacing boards correct? Possible storm damage or bad electricity issue occur about the time this started acting up??
I've seen a storm roll through and the boards fail 3 days later or even 24 hours later. Most die within hours of a storm.
But logically...there has to be a mismatch in the parts ordered.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We always try to match board #s because of the rolling changes in production. First changed main board then found remote sensor removal let the unit work and tried a new sensor with the old and new board. Any combo gives same results. The only thing we didn't change is the ribbon cable from board to board but we did reverse it still same results.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.
Alright, so the problem really cropped up after the main board was replaced, and it fails on both the old and new boards. BUT...it's the NEW SENSOR.
What was wrong with the OLD sensor and OLD board?? Same or different problem??
I would suspect the ribbon cable too, but that's if it's a ribbon cable and not a multi-wire connector. Those can crack if moved/worked on, especially the ends if removed/installed. I've seen the foils peel off the ends most of the time. That's also where I find cracks/tears on them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we already tried all that