Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Samsung PN63B550 which has about 6-8 horizontal lines

Customer Question

i have a Samsung PN63B550 which has about 6-8 horizontal lines on the top of the screen. it started as one but increased over time
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Can you please tell me if these lines occur regardless of what source you're viewing (cable box, DVD, etc.)? Also, how thick are the lines and what color are they? Does anything display behind/through the lines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the lines appear regardless of the input. the lines are thin but add up singe they are banding together let me try to add a picture of it.

blwck lines

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply Do those lines flicker or move at all?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
They're thin enough that they're most likely repairable- looks like a failing sustain board, or possibly a vs or va line that are drifting out of spec. This doesn't appear to be a Plasma display panel fault- which is good news since that would entail replacement of the entire panel- and is not cost effective.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If you have this brought to a shop, the vs and va lines would be checked with a meter to ensure they're in spec- and also that the filter capacitors on the power board are not visibly bulged or leaking. These are two very common issues with this set. If the voltages are correct (about 190 and 60 vdc respectively), then your sustain boards would need to be replaced. Average cost for this type of repair is between $250-$350 parts and labor at a shop. However if you're a DIY type, then you will need a meter and we can then troubleshoot this and find the offending board(s). Let me know how you'd like to proceed and we can go from there. If you need further assistance let me know. NOTE: Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am very DIY but don't have a meter. Any one in particular I need? I' can order one and report back.
Thanks.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. All you need is a digital multi-meter capable of reading DC volts. They're available for between $10-$50 at Home Depot, Wal Mart, Radio Shack, etc. You would need to familiarize yourself with the meter before doing any testing.