Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My PN50A Plasma big screen that I purchased in 2009 has recently

Customer Question

My PN50A Plasma big screen that I purchased in 2009 has recently began receiving only channels 8-1,8-2, 8-3, 13-1, 13-2, & 13-3. Lost CBS (channels 4-1,4-2 ) NBC (Channels6-1, 6-2, & 6-3) All pbs stations (Channels 20-1,20-2. & 20-3) Local UHF and Fox
(Channels 59-1,59-2, & 59-3). We are AIR tv reception, (antenna placed in attic) and have never had a problem.
do I need a tuner module or a new TV ?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Have you tried running the auto scan function in the samsung setup menu again?Occasionally the tv just needs to be reprogrammed, though it is also possible that the antenna in the attic has shifted and needs to be repositioned, or that some construction/terrain changes between you and the tv stations have caused the signal to drop. Do you have any other tvs working off the same antenna that are getting all the channels still?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Nathan,
Yes I've auto programmed the TV and checked the Antenna the only 6 stations I get now are 8-1,8-2,8-3,13-1,13-2,&13-3. I have the Geek Squad scheduled to come out next weekend so we shall see.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to test either another antenna, or at least another tv?That would be helpful in isolating the problem further. As this could be a signal/antenna issue, or it could be a problem with the internal tuner.If another tv picks up the same stations with the same antenna, that would point to a tuner issue. Really though, the tuner, while a relatively small component, is integrated into the main board inside the tv. You can't buy just a tuner module, you'd be looking at replacing the entire main board, and for a tv this age, you'd almost be better off buying a new tv, because the costs of repairs ($300 range) are not much less than a new and updated LED tv with a fresh warranty. What you could do however is to purchase a separate, external tuner box, for around $30-40, to take over the tvs internal tuner functions. Here is an example: http://amzn.to/1cH3IsEThat would cost you less than even the service call to have geek squad out.Nathan