Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Tv will not come on. The red 0n lite blinks 7 times. this is

Customer Question

tv will not come on. The red 0n lite blinks 7 times. this is a 40 in plasma tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Hi there, and sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most often a faulty su, sd, or sc board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, assuming parts can even be found, as they are very difficult to get for these sets any longer.
For a tv of this age/size however, replacement will typically make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty and updated features in the same $300 price range as repairs would run you.
Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.
Best regards,