Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a 65' large screen Samsung and there's humming

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 65' large screen Samsung and there's humming coming from the back,also there's white dots buildup on the large screen blocking the view could you tell me the problems I'm having Please Thank You: P/s how much would it cost to repair.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems.
The white dots on the screen are caused by the DLP chip in the set- which contains thousands of tiny mirrors (each one representing a pixel). The problem with these chips with all TV's that use them, is that the mirrors start to fall off over the years and each time one falls- you end up with another white dot.
The humming from the back offhand could be caused by one of several things- a noisy fan, an old lamp, or the power supply board- and would require further troubleshooting to narrow that down.
However the cost of replacing the chip alone is typically $450-$500 parts and labor unless you perform the work yourself- which requires dismantling the TV.
If you're looking to go this route, let me know and I will continue to assist.
Regarding the hum, at the very least you could be looking at a weak lamp that needs replacement, at a cost of around $100, and at worst- the power supply board is becoming weak and the cost of that repair is in the $300 range unfortunately.