hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Cable TV Installer
Experience:  State Of Hawaii Certified Cable TV installer
40928634

Y samsung 55"tv has a foggy white screen,

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Does this happen on all sources/inputs (cable/satellite, dvd, game, media/apps, etc)?Is the samsung on screen setup menu foggy/fuzzy as well?If you can upload some photos, that would be very helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All inputs as well as the menu, after turning tv on and a crystal clear picture, in about 2 minutes time it begins to get foggy white lines horizontal and vertical until entire screen is foggy
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Do those lines continue? Are the lines appearing on top of or behind the image (including the menu)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U can see picture, but after a couple minutes of being on it looks like theres a cloud or fog infront of entire picture,
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
What about the lines? Are they always there, or only after a few minutes too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lines are foggy stripes, that continue to appear during the first couple of minutes that the tv is turned on. Example: turn on TV. Picture is clear and looks great, approximatly a minute after turning on a Foggy/cloudy horizontal line about 1inch thick from side to side appears, within the next 30 seconds a second horizontal foggy line will appear in a diffrent area of screen, this continues for 3-4 minutes until entire screen is completly foggy/cloudy. Even after screen gets completly foggy you can still slightly see the picture behind the fog
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. And the lines are only horizontal, or they are vertical lines as well?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
If you grab the tv (may need a helper for this) on both sides, and give it a slight twist (like you are wringing out a wet rag), or if you press around the edges at the locations of the lines, do the lines go away somewhat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No twisting and applying pressure did not do anything to help. I just tried uploading a photo of the screen but i was prompted that theres not enough memory, sont know if thats on my end or ur s
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
It may have been too large for this site. You can upload the file to any file sharing site (imgur, wikisend, etc) and just send me the link. From what you've described though, this is either going to be a bad main board or a bad lcd panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That goes against everything that ive seen from videos as well as the TV repair man who came and tested the TV yesterday while i was at work. I trouble shot the main board yesterday afternoon as well as the LCD panel. Theres actually no symptoms which support that either one of those components Are defective.What next,
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I'm going off of what you've told me so far. Clearly there is additional information here that you have not provided to me (testing panel and board, having a tech out, etc). I am not on site, and rely on the information you provide me to give an accurate assessment.I will have to opt out at this point, and open the question to other experts who may be willing to assist. You do not need to do anything ,just wait for a reply from the next available expert. Please do not post back or reply further, as it will send you back to me instead, and may hinder another from stepping in. Best of luck to you.
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com my name isCustomerand I'm here to help you with your TV question.
If the picture is whitewashed like in the top right of this problem photos
http://screencast.com/t/GfuVjZjtdf9J
then you need to change the T-CON board in your TV. It is behind a metal cover and will be the top most board as you view the TV from the back with the cover off.
You can buy a board that was taken out of a new TV from ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-UN55ES6500FXZA-T-Con-Board-BN95-00579B-BN41-01789A-BN97-06371B-/261822615250
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can u identify the correct part number for the T CON board. And my TV the t-con board is located at the center bottom of the screen are we possibly talking about two different models
Yes it could be at the bottom. It'll be behind a metal grill plate that protects it.
If you take this to a shop to do it'll be between $200 to $300 labour charge to replace the board.
You can then compare the board with the picture that I sent you above.
You should only do this work yourself if you are confident working around high voltages.