Master Fix It
Master Fix It, Technician
Experience:  25 + Years experience repairing TVs, VCRs Computer etc.
11519491

Hey my name is ***** ***** hope you can help me few months

Customer Question

Hey my name is ***** ***** hope you can help me for a few months now my Mitsubishi tv has been blacking out i found that if i move a wire harness that goes to the very right projector i get a picture again well one day my wife got up to move the harness and now i have a blue line out of place so i tried to adjust the blue convergance but it will not move what can this be
Category: TV
Expert:  Master Fix It replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Ryan, and thank you for choosing Just Answer.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.
How old is your set?
Also was it very dusty inside the unit?
And how is the picture, does it look at all like it has a convergence issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tv is probably from 2001 it is dusty inside and yes it looks like it has a convergence issue
Thank you,
do you have any electronic soldering experience?
If so I can help you with the parts replacement to fix the convergence problem.
As for the blanking out, that is caused as you know by a loose or dirty connector.
If you can solder I can hep you get the parts needed and make this repair. But if not you would need a TV repair technician.
But this TV really is old and it can be fixed, but it sounds like you will need a professional cleaning of the parts and boards to make it a reliable set again. this is a bit pricey and time consuming so labor is high in cost.
Unless you can do this repair, i would really consider replacing the set because the new ones are cheaper and many more features for less than you originally paid for the old one.
I wish I had better news but I will advise you the best thing to do.
In any case let me know what you are going to do.
I will stick with you.
If you need me further you can reach me after rating at no additional cost .
please be sure to rate my answer kindly at this time before closing this page.
It won't cost you anything additional to rate and I will be with you at no additional cost but you can always get in touch with me if you need further help;-)
Thank you
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i have soldering experience i just dont know what it is that needs to be soldered i was hoping you would say that the harness would have somthing to do with the convergence as well as it blacking out but at this point it looks as tho this conversation is going to cost me more than the tv due to the fact that i only paid 25$$$ for the tv lol anyways if you can point me in the right direction on witch ic needs to be replaced that would be great also would i have to replace it or could cold solder joints possibly be the issue
Hi I wish it were just the harness.
This TV has two problems. One is the convergence issue that will need two IC'S and their related resistors replaced. As for the cable if the unit is really dusty you need to have it cleaned or you can do that with a vacuum and some work lol.
Dust is harmful to electronics because the dust acts like a blanket retaining the heat.
Its highly unlikely that there is a cold solder joint in this case but your welcome to re flow the connections but its going to be failed IC's.
I can help you locate the parts if you need?
Please rate my service and I will stick with you until this complete;-)